Sunday, July 28, 2013

JULY 24TH, 2013 PIONEER DAY CELEBRATION.


Jeffery R. Holland and his wife at a General Conference.
He is an apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
A very wonderful man, a leader in the church, I so love his talks
and quotes, such a humble yet powerful servant for Jesus Christ.


We got to see quite a bit of him this July 24th weekend. We 
attended a Luau and Hawaiian program given in his honor.


We got to sit quite close to he and his wife, it was fun to see
the people come up and talk to him, he was so gracious and 
kind to everyone.


They were so cute together too, Patricia has written a book 
that I just love, it has a poem in it about peace that I have marked.


He was so generous in taking time for everyone.


There was a professional group that were there to perform
Hawaiian dances etc. they were really good!


The fire dancer at the end was so awesome!

Headed home, the moon was gigantic, so we
went up on the hill over St. George, the moon
and the Temple together was Heavenly!


Next morning on the 24th, we attended a breakfast put on by
our Stake (church) it was free and so good! This old guy came
in this, an old fashioned Jag, it was beautiful.


I love July 24th, as we in our church celebrate the Pioneer's
journey  and settling of Utah. We went to a parade in 
Washington City, it was such a good parade.


This flag represents the flag that Captain Moroni made
 as they were about to fight a great war.... "He rent 
(tore off) his coat, and he took a piece thereof,and wrote upon it:
In memory of our God, our religion,and freedom, and our peace,
our wives, and our children," and he fastened it upon the end of
a pole.


Captain Moroni and The Title of Liberty Flag
 

The warriors who fought this great battle were young men who
were valiant in courage, and integrity, great faith, they knew that
their God would protect them. They had been taught by their
mothers that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.

They went forward with the strength and power of God. They
succeeded because they did obey and perform every word of
command with exactness, and according  to their faith, it was
done unto them. There were 2,000 of them and they were young,
and none of them were killed.

These young men in this parade were representing the 2,000
young men in this historic story from the Book of Mormon. 
They each made their own costumes, and felt it an honor
to march in representation of the faithful 2,000 warriors.


The Boy Scouts of America were represented.


Elder Holland and his wife rode in a Pioneer carriage. They 
stopped right by us and I got to have a few words with them.


The missionaries were represented also, young men and
women from all over the globe that are called to go and 
serve all over the world.


They were singing; "Called To Serve Him Heavenly King of Glory"
it was very moving to think of these, our young people who prepare
and eagerly wait to receive their calls, all over the world, Each
putting their lives on hold to go and serve the Lord for 2 years.


I loved the old water mill, it sits on a corner
of the park where the early pioneers had a 
cotton mill. During the Civil War, cotton
was raised in St. George and shipped off
to all over the world.


Later in the day, we drove up to Zion Park...


I love driving through the tunnel in the 
mountain. It has been there for years and 
years. This is a window in the tunnel.

The red rock mountains rise up so steep above that it
just takes your breath away!

Headed into the tunnel...


A window in the tunnel...

Going out the other end...


Every where you look, giant mountains.


We turned around and went back through the tunnel,
coming out the other end...beautiful.


Utah and it's arches, they are everywhere!


A little deer walked out right in front of our car.


We went to a Kabob-a-que at the park.


Lots of people there for the free dinner.

Great music for our entertainment, lots of games going
on for .the kids

Loved this tiny puppy, the lady was bottle
feeding it still, so sweet!


The pies went of forever...so delicious!

Lots of yummy food,

There was a man there, he was a wheelwright, a maker of
wheels, wagons. My great great grandfather was also a
wheelwright, he came with the very first company of 
Pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley, now Salt Lake City. 
They settled Utah along with people who came from
every country to join the Mormon church,
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They 
came for religious freedom and suffered so much. But
today, Utah has blossomed like a rose and is doing
very well.


This man's ancestors were wheelwrights also, and he
was continuing on the family traditions.

Throwing in a few pictures of my little cottage kitchen...
I love it!


I found the table cloth at a thrift store...


also the little pot and plate, love them~

This too, love the thrift store!

Just homey-cottage-cute.

Lots of pictures...a big day celebrating the 24th
we had a great time with just Ron and I, taking 
the day to remember our Pioneer ancestors.

July is nearly over! How did that happen? 
******




10 comments:

Eileen said...

I love the unique scenery in Utah. When we have traveled through there, as we would drive around a corner we waited with anticipation as to what we would see come into view. When my Mom and Dad traveled cross country in the late 1980s, Utah was their favorite state.

And, I have always loved the beauty of Bryce Canyon. It has been one of my most favorite places we have visited.

Glad to see you enjoyed "Pioneer Days" so much. Looks like a fun time.

It seems days get so busy now and I have not much time to update my blog. But, I do enjoy reading your posts!

Hugs!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That was fun and informative Julie! Utah is one of the few states I have not been too. I guess I will need to add it to my travel wish list.
Your cottage kitchen is adorable...I love, love what you have done!
And I can't believe July is ending, summer always seems to go too quickly.
Hugs,
Cindy






Unknown said...

What a wonderful warm way to celebrate the history of your church.
We always enjoy our visits in Utah, the sights are unbelievably awesome. Thank you for sharing & enlightening us more on your faith, I so enjoy it.
TTFN ~
Big hugs,
Marydon

Michael & Lindsey said...

Looks like you guys had a fun 24th! Wish we could have been there to meet Elder Holland. He is the best! Glad you guys are having fun :)

Julie said...

Love it ALL!!! You are having fun, and lots of good food and I adore your kitchen with all the pops of red. xoxoxox <3

retrorevival.biz said...

Happy to hear you're enjoying your summer:) Your kitchen décor is darling.

Cindy said...

Hello dear Julie,
I've not been around much this summer, I see more of what you post on FB than I see here. FB is just easier isn't it.
I can see you've had a very enjoyable time, I love my church too, it gives us such a connection with something that we can love and believe in. I think people need that.
I enjoyed the scenery photos, they are gorgeous! Also your little St George cottage is really sweet, very comfortable and pretty looking. I love the checked tablecloth.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Hugs, Cindy

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

How fun to "rub" shoulders with Elder Holland! I LOVE listening to his talks!
I'm always filled with such hope.

LOVE your cottage. You have decorated it so beautifully. Not sure if you've sold your wonderful cliff home, but you make beauty whereever you are!

CB said...

What a completely wonderful celebration!!
I love President Holland. He was the President of BYU when I was there. Truly a humble and great man!

MarySue said...

Made a trip to SLC for a baby blessing and as I pass through St. George is do so think of you. Still loving your blog and maybe someday we'll meet. For now, I'm glad you're my blogfriend.