Thursday, November 19, 2009

" THE BEST HOLIDAY DRESSING "....easy and so good!

Hi there...it's Thanksgiving time....time for all good cooks to get busy in the kitchen. So, I have gathered my helpers and off we go to make the best Thanksgiving dinner ever! But first, before I share the best ever recipe with you, you must answer a question....

" Why did the Pilgrims pants keep falling down?"~~~~"Because they wore their belt buckles on their hats silly!"

Ok...get your sharp knives out (you're a big enough girl, I trust you not to cut your fingers)...and your vintage aprons on...you can chop the mushrooms.....good job!

Oh my, look what we did...good job little helpers...you're all hired! If you kids can do this anybody can right?
Shall we share this great recipe?.... Ok, here goes!

" Holiday Dressing "

Brown: 1 lb. of Sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 Cups chopped celery
Cook til starting to soften.
Add: 2 cups of chopped, fresh mushrooms
a little parsley
then add: (all in the same skillet)
1 tsp. Poultry seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. Sage
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
Mix this all together and continue browning
Add: 1 package of Craisins
Turn on low

Mix together: 1 cup melted butter
2 eggs...beaten
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can (10 oz.) of Chicken Broth
Mix this with the browned meat and veggie mixture.

Pour all of this over...
1 loaf (any kind) of bread
that you have broken into small pieces and let dry the day before. Mix together.

Put into a 9x13 pan lined with foil (put a little water in under the foil)
Cover with foil too....Bake 325'-350'..for 1 Hour
Take foil off the last 15 Min. to let top brown.

This recipe always gets the compliments rolling in...
it is so good the day of and the days after too. I hope you'll give it a try, it's so easy and so good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love the poem called ... "Home"... by Edgar A. Guest.

It speaks of things I love about a home; about how we appreciate home after we have grown up and left it, how we look back and remember all the good. That it doesn't make a difference how rich we get or how many chairs and tables we have or how much they cost. How is isn't a home until our soul is wrapped around it.

Home is not a place that gold can buy in a minute, before it's a home there's got to be a heap of living in it. There's got to be babies born raised up to be good women and men. Where we find we wouldn't want to part with anything they ever used because it's grown into your heart. Their old high chairs, the playthings, the little shoes they wore, and if you could, you'd leave the their finger prints all around.

How you've got to weep to make it a home, and sit and sigh and watch beside a loved ones bed, and know that death is nigh. These scenes that grip the heart, and when your tears are dried, you find that home is dearer than it was, now sanctified. And tuggin at you always are the pleasant memories that tie our hearts together, forever!

You've got to sing and dance, to romp and play, and learn to love the things you have by using them each and every day. Even the roses 'round the porch must bloom year by year, so that you can remember the one who loved them, and trained them to get that early morning sun .
You've got to love each brick and stone from the cellar to the dome...it takes a heap of living in a house... to make it a home!
~~~~~~~

Well, with all my kids and spouses and grand kids coming, we will have a home full for about 4 days. I'm so excited for them to come.
We have a lovely dinner with the china and crystal set out beautifully. We eat too much and talk and talk, everyone helps to clean up the dishes, it's quite the scene!...Some football is watched...crafts and play for the grand kids, a little target shooting, movies and games in the evening. Then the next day we'll go up into the mountains for those who want to cut a Christmas tree. We have lucked out most years and got into snow..that makes it so much fun!

Sending all of you, all my love, and wishing you a... VERY..HAPPY THANKSGIVING with your loved ones. May your house feel like a home always and forever!

41 comments:

Valerie said...

Yay! I think I'll try this one. I've been trying to duplicate my grandma's stuffing, and can never get it right...it will be fun to try a new recipe!

Tracy said...

My stuffing recipe is similar. There's nothing that says Thanksgiving like homemade stuffing!! LOVE IT!!!

Thanks for sharing your recipe and for the poem. Great food for thought!!

Happy Thanksgiving! :-)

tara said...

sounds wonderful I can only see your house now!! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well...aren't holidays the best reminder that each and every day should be spent and cherished like a holiday?...I decided last night to start using my good silverware daily...just feel better that way, making each day like a holiday~
xo

Cowboy mom said...

WOW!! What an amazing amount of energy you have. Lucky family!

GWENDOLYN said...

Sounds so very delishious! But I have to loose weight , so none for me.... What an adorable bunch of children, bright, happy smiles. Love it! Blessings!
Gwen

Anita said...

Sounds yummy. I can't believe that Thanksgiving is just a few days away. I've got the menu set and am taking off the the grocery store later today to pick up some of the advance items. Happy Thanksgiving

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

Thanks for posting warm Thanksgiving feelings with your grandchildren cooking by your side and the sentimental poem I love.

I will turn this recipe over to the Mr. Bed of Roses...he loves to cook, and even better he loves the ravings of something he has cooked, and if they don't come soon enough he will look at you until they do come with some promtings!
Thanks for sharing and 4 days with your family sounds heavenly with lots of cooking too.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, will look forward to hearing some of the tree events that took place. right?

Jenny S said...

This sounds SOOOOOO good! Love the family pictures!!

maría cecilia said...

Hi Julie, it´s so, so lovely seeing your grands helping you in the kitchen with those beautiful aprons... really a lovely scene...
I do want to have more grands!!
Did I tell you that cooking for me is something I don´t like doing??... but do love eating anything!!
Lots of hugs to you and have a very blessed thanksgiving...
María Cecilia

Beth at Aunties said...

Julie,
I love the pictures of your Thanksgiving remembered! The precious grandchildren and you in your aprons is adorable. Thanks for the wonderful recipe and I love the poem. It is so true!
Your home will be bursting with family, laughter and joy. Enjoy it all!
It is our year to be alone...while they visit their other families. I always get kind of sad when that happens. Yet we all lucked out this year!!! We get our newlyweds for dinner and another family of 7 are coming to spend the whole Thanksgiving weekend. Then my daughter's family is coming over for pie Thanksgiving eve. I guess we get our pie and will be able to eat too!;-)
Enjoy every single minute!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Hugs ~♥

becky said...

sounds yummy!I have a recipe from my mother as we are Greek so always its a tradition with us for greek stuffing that my Grandmother always made.


Loved the poem as well and wow you look like you will have lots for the holidays how nice and comfy cozy for all of those family members to be coming.Have a lovely time.

Your grandkids look alot like you.Take care! Becky

once in a blue moon... said...

looks like great memories! you will be very busy with your family so i will wish you happy thanksgiving now in the lull!

your recipe sounds delish, mine is very similiar, YUM!

Michele and Todd said...

I always put country bulk sausage in my dressing. I have talked to alot of people about their dressing lately, and sausage is the one ingredient that is a must. Your recipe looks good. I have an Italian (gourmet) stuffing that I make sometime too. I love your ideas and recipes. I did do your skeleton cupcakes for our Halloween party, and they were fun.

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

That certainly sounds delicious! Those kids all have the same big angelic smile. You guys have lots of fun together picking out that Christmas tree!
Brenda

Gumbo Lily said...

Yum on the stuffing! And I really like the poem about Home. It's so very, very true. I can't wait for Thanksgiving when all my kids and my lil grandgirl come! Great blog, Julie!

Jody

koralee said...

Ahhhh...your little helpers are adorable..I love the vintage aprons on them. Now I am hungry for Thanksgiving...we had ours months ago! I have written down that stuffing recipe I am so going to use it...maybe for Christmas. Happy Thanksgiving! I so so love that poem!

Monica H said...

The kiddos are too cute- what great little helpres!

THank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a kind comment. I appreciate it so much!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Vicki said...

Hello, dear Julie,
Can I say you have the cutest little chefs helping you? You are making memories to last a life time!! I am wishing you and your family the most wonderful Thanksgiving ever. Enjoy your time together and blessings to you! Vicki

Connie said...

Sounds like a great recipe! I love the pictures of you and your helpers. I have to admit something here that I've not told before. I use Chinet plates and clear plastic cups for my fine china and crystal. I started this 4 years ago and everyone appreciates it when it's time for clean up.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Marie said...

Beautiful post Julie. I Loved all the pictures, the recipe, the poem and the sentiments! Happy Thanksgiving to you and to yours! May it be the best every and truly blessed! xxoo

KathyB. said...

So many wonderful things to see and say in this post. What cute little helpers you have there! Thanksgiving at your place sounds ideal~ And fun!

"Home isn't a home until our soul is wrapped in it." So true Julie....

The dressing sounds very, very good and again, I love the poem , the sentiments, and the way you do show real Thanksgiving. I enjoyed my visit, thank-you.

BTW, our home will be full too so I am thinking our Thanksgiving experiences will be similar, how blessed we are.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Julie,
Lovely post and darling little helpers! It sounds like a wonderful time at your house, in fact it sounds like the perfect Thanksgiving! Enjoy! Hugs, Cindy

Farmgirl Paints said...

Great Thanksgiving post!! Great pics of lovin' in the kitchen. Have a wonderfully blessed week Julie.

The Garden of Egan said...

I loved your post! Everything spoke volumes of how I feel, I just don't write as purty as you!

I'm going to make your stuffing, that looks yummy!

Hope your day is a good one. We too will have a housefull and I'm so excited. I know I'll be tired when it's done, but so, that's what sleep is for.
We're doing holiday crafts too.

Glad I found your blog, it really is a treasure.

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Oh wow, that sounds FABULOUS! I don't have a good dressing recipe, either. Think I'll borrow yours ;)
Thanks!
B
P.S. Those pics of you with your little helpers are too cute!

Muthering Heights said...

That sounds delicious!!!

Mimi Sue said...

My stuffing recipe is similar too. I think I'll try putting craisins in mine. It sounds delish and I need a little excitement in my life! Have a wonderful time with your family. These are the memory making days of our lives. Mimi

Brenda said...

What great pictures! Thanks for sharing the stuffing recipe! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your sweet grandchildren and family! Have a great Weekend!
Thanksgiving hugs to you!
Brenda

Shelia said...

Hi Dear Julie! Oh, what precious pictures of you and your little darling helpers! They are truly beautiful children! You, my dear, are just gorgeous! Sounds like you're going to have a fun filled thanksgiving. Your stuffing sounds so good! Isn't it something all the different recipes out there for our stuffings!
Thank you for your sweet visit and I wish you the most wonderful Thanksgiving,
Shelia :)

Lissa said...

cute post! I can't wait for yummy thanksgiving food! Happy THanksgiving!

Lorri said...

Sounds wonderful! Enjoy your day with the little ones.They grow up too fast.
Lorri

sarah-jane down the lane said...

Hey,

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Have a wonderful family time.

Thanks so much for your sweet comment,

Sarah x

Anne Fannie said...

Julie,
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. What a wonderful time to spend with the ones you love!
Hugs, Ann

Danielle Barlow said...

Yum, that sounds scrumptious!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with all your family x

Joycee said...

The stuffing sounds delicious, I must try it! And I love the Edgar Guest poem, he's my Mom's favorite. I think I will copy this and read it to the ladies at the nursing home where Mom lives.

Paula said...

how very precious! you are a wonderful mom cooking with them, I know that takes patience & tons of love!
Hope your Thanksgiving if full of lot's of family love! :)

French-Kissed said...

Thanks for dropping by my Open House ~ always a delight to have you. Your family Thanksgiving sounds absolutely wonderful and your little helpers are just adorable. If I don't check in again before then, have a wonderful time giving thanks with your family.

~Jermaine~

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

Julie, my husband had to try out the dressing today...its wonderful, and he was quite proud as he had never made homemade stuffing.
It will be the Thanksgiving day dressing for sure! we may add a tart apple to it.

The Gough Inn said...

First of all -- Have a Happy Thanksgiving -- I use Sausage too in my stuffing. Love your thoughts and to see your grandkids what helpers they are --- xo Kristeen

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I have copied your recipe down and will go shopping for all the ingredient tomorrow. I know it will be fabulous.

Thanks for being so loving and generous.

Farm Chick Paula said...

What a cute little helper you have there!! Thanks for the recipe, Julie- it sounds wonderful and simple too!
And the beautiful words about home made me cry... *sigh*....