Sunday, November 22, 2009

" HAPPY TAILS TO YOU "

Just wanted to share something I'm grateful for...our animals! This is our golden retriever Cougar, as a puppy. Such a bundle of love who still thinks he can fit in my lap! We've never had a dog so full of love. He is my walking companion too, how can you beat that!

~Cougar...one year old~
~~~~~~

"Animals in Our Lives "

We aren't house-proud. If we were, we wouldn't abide the scratches on the door frame, the holes in the screen, the darkened shine of worn spots on the chair. We would wince at the mottled carpet and fret at the hair clinging to our clothes.

We don't. If anything, we lovers of animals are a tolerant lot, finding greater value in the unabashed affections of our friends than in immaculate sofas. Shoes can be replaced, but heroic dogs and animals are timeless.

Without animals, our houses are cold receptacles for things. Animals make a fire warmer with their curled presence. They wake us with cheerfulness , greet us with big smiles, protect us, and ultimately carve a place in our hearts and our history. On reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our pets.
-Paul Fersen-

My horse Mr. Red...see that kind eye? Thats a sign of a good horse!

Our horses...Jeff and Mr. Red...best friends and our riding buddies

My little dog, Bo and the cat Praline....Sun bathers!

Praline was a little wild cat that came starving and begging at my door...so glad I took her in! She loves to play games with me through this chair.

Sage, another teeny-tiny lost baby, found her while I was out walking in the fields..my dog went to see, and her hissing scared him. I found him sitting on her...had to hand feed her..she's a love.

Bo just loves to come to the potty with me...waiting for me to give his toy a toss!

Bo and new kitty Jack. This little guy came meowing up to me as I was out walking. He had been hurt and we've had him now for a month, he limps, which looks to be permanent...he is such a sweet, calm peaceful cat..we just love him!

Praline...having another nap. She loves me to death, follows me everywhere!

This is new kitty Sammie..short for Samantha. She is Jacks best friend, a little wild baby that has come to call our home...her home... We love her!

Bo after his hair cut..he shivers so he has to wear a coat. I'm not a very good groomer but at least I'm free!

These little birds, Poppy and Paisley brighten my home and sing for their supper!

This little mama is doing her thing...best little mom ever!

The bond between people and animals is one of the strongest and most beneficial friendships in history. Now researchers are beginning to learn more about this unbreakable connection. I have noticed that more and more hotels are allowing pets because pets are family and people want to take them everywhere they go. It's comforting, makes us feel safe and it's enjoyable to share everything with them.

My Dad taught me all about animals...how to read what they are thinking and doing. How to train them. How to love them and allow them to love me. I have noticed that my children are loving their pets...it has been passed on.

I think God gave us pets as a little bonus...the frosting on the cake so to speak. I have always believed that; "The outside of an animal is good for the inside of man." Can one really touch or pet an animal without feeling the love?! And their love is so unconditional...they take our neglect and abuse and keep on loving.

The thing that really jerks at my heart is sweet, innocent animals..or children who are neglected. I pray everyday for the " beasts and the children...for they have no voice." God bless them!

37 comments:

The Askeroth Family said...

It looks like you have a zoo! I guess in a way you do, always have. I love animals too and I pity people who don't. You forgot to mention that I named almost all of these animals!

becky said...

What a beautiful post.I adore animals.I have a westie anmed Eli and a border collie named Murphy.Also 2 cats.All boys,I had 2 girls so with the animals they are boys LOL.I dont know what I would do without them.They live her at my home with me,my murphy is getting old though he will soon be 13.Eli was just 8.Oh and I have one parakeet named jack.hes fairly young and isnt speaking to much so hes the quiet one of the bunch.


Thanks for sharing this today,have a lovely Thanksgiving!

The Garden of Egan said...

Please tell me you didn't have your camera with you when that little adorable puppy followed you to the potty!
Those are sweet little faces. I love animals too and have a few of the furry creatures around here. My cats know when I'm having a tough day and come and snuggle. I couldn't do without my animals.
I love the cat looking at you between the chair. I had a chair like that a million years ago by the way.
Loved your post! Have a great week!

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

Your animal friends are so precious and beautiful. I had no idea you have so many of them and such a good variety.
You get to keep the cats away from the birds?
Love the blue eyes on the one gray cat...could pet her all day.
If I were home alot I would definitly have a few cats following me around all day too. I love them, love to talk and pet them too,so thanks for sharing your love for your pets with us. They are going to love all the activity at your home this week arent they.

Tracy said...

WOW!! That's a lot of animals. I like animals, but I'm not quite the fan that you are. I'm sure my allergies contribute somewhat to that.

Good for you for loving and taking care of them!!

Jules said...

Holy cow that's a lot of animals. We used to have 8 horses and I miss them terribly. My husband has developed such bad allergies over the years we had to get rid of them. That was hard! Now we are down to just one dog. Thanks for sharing them.

Joycee said...

What a touching post! Our daughter Amy is a vet tech and has many cats, dogs and birds. She takes them in to foster and they become part of her family! Animals add so much to our lives, we love our little cocker Ben!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Holy Cow Julie, you have a lot of critters! I so love your dogs and those horses are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this is fun! Cindy

Lorilee said...

Your pets are so lucky, especially the strays you took in! We have a kitty hanging around our front porch. My husband is fussing at me for feeding it. I call her Ninja because she is all black and my neighbor claims to have seen her go into the rain gutter and come out down the block.
Blessings,
Lorilee

Eggs In My Pocket / Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Such a heart warming post! Love all of your critters! I so agree with your words. Where would we be without our sweet companions? Have a happy Thanksgiving! blessings,Kathleen

Jenny S said...

I cannot imagine my life without animals!! Love my puppies!!

Mercy Otis/The Stone House said...

HI Julie! I love our dogs! I am in need...real need, of a new horse. I have to agree with you about the "kind eye"! I LOVE horses!!!!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! Mercy

Mimi Sue said...

Somedays I love my dogs more than my kids. You don't have to put them through college and they don't ask to borrow the car! Just kidding, sorta. Anyway, we've always had dogs and they've all been rescues. We have some cat and feather allergies or I'd have them too. You have quite the zoo at your house. It's easier to have a bunch when you live out in the country. The picture on my last post was of Zion Natl Park. We stopped there on the way home from Calif. We hadn't been there in years and it was just gorgeous this time of year. I kept wondering if you lived close because your banner picture sure looked like some of the scenery we saw around the park. Have a great Thanksgiving! Mimi

Michael & Lindsey said...

I also love animals, and I'm glad that we were raised with them and learned how to love them. I flipped through my baby book yesterday and it seemed like there was always a picture of us as kids or babies laying on some pet we had at the time. They were fun memories and I'm glad it was a part of our childhood.

The Gough Inn said...

Hi - Cute -- and more cutie.. I love my dog too -- such a job to have in your life -- that's for sure! Kristeen

The Gough Inn said...

I meant to say such a joy to have my dog that's for sure..wink!

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

What a sweet post! I'm such an animal lover. I can't stand it when people don't care for their pets! You have quite a menagerie there! We have a Golden also and I've never had a more loving dog! Our pets truly are the icing on the cake!

Manuela

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Awww...sweet! Animals are very special!

Blessings,
LMM

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Oh yes, kindred souls are we. :) Your animals are beautiful and it sounds like the ones that need you the most always find you. Sounds like our place!
(Regarding the bunnies ~ ours are litter box trained so we rarely have any accidents. I say rarely because you know how it is with animals... The poem at the beginning of your post says it all!!)
Thanks for sharing your furry family members. I'd love to meet them.

koralee said...

Now I know why I have always loved you so much...I am an Animal Lover through and through. They add so much Joy to a home and give so much. As a child I was always bringing home strays. I love your post today...and your words are perfect in every way.

Connie said...

This says alot about you. Anyone who loves and cares for animals like you do, is a very compassionate person.
Beautiful animals!

Anita said...

Sweet words and some beautiful animal friends. Happy Thanksgiving.

Nana said...

That was a very sweet post. I agree.

I can't even think about when my dog passes on. It never gets any easier. She is our 5th dog in the family. We also have a cat that came begging one day.

Shelia said...

Oh, Julie! Your big loving heart is showing! How wonderful that you've taken in all these little ones that needed you! Love all those little eyes and big eyes! You're a dear!
Blessings,
Shelia ;)

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I've lost count but what I do know is that you and yours have great big hearts. May God bless you for the love and generosity you give to the animals in your lives. Your's is the kind of place that everyone wishes the had at home. I wish I had your attitude, your devotion, your patience and most of all your loving spirit.

Holly- Girls At Heart said...

Hi, Julie, I'm Holly! I love all your animals. If I ever have my own dog, I hope it's a Golden! I've never met one that I didn't like! ♥

KathyB. said...

"Without animals our houses are cold receptacles for things." so TRUE! Animals bring so much joy and love-of-life with them . Great post and beautiful animals. Cougar looks like his personality totally belies his name.

Deb said...

One of the nicest blog posts I have ever read! Thank you! Found your blog this morning and was drawn after seeing your gorgeous "walking partner" Cougar ♥ I feel exactly the same way you do about animals ~ the absolute sweetest thing in life.

Dolly said...

Awwwww I love all those precious lil fur faces and the birdies too!
I wish hubby would let us have more animals to love!
We have 2 spoiled cats that we cherish.
30 chickens and a 5 roosters and a goose! Mother Goose is our guard dog...she is precious as can be!

Happy Thanks giving sweetpea!
Hugz, Dolly

Farmgirl Susan said...

What a wonderful furry (and feathery!) family you have! There's nothing better than being surrounded by critters, is there?

P.S. Hi!!! :)

GWENDOLYN said...

Julie,
What a big wonderful heart you have to keep all these animals. We just have one dog at the moment. Thanks for reminding me , I need to go vacume. Ha!
Hugs & Blessings!
Gwen

Marie said...

Julie I love all your fur/feather babies!! I am a real animal lover as well. I especially love dogs and ginger cats, and have a real soft spot for Siamese cats. We only ever had seal point Siamese cats the whole time I was growing up and, the whole time I was bringing my children up we had blue points. My youngest daughter has two now,chocolate points called simon and susie. They're lovely animals. I just adore our Border Collie Jess as you know! Animals add such a beautiful dimension to our lives. I cannot imagine never having a pet! Happy Thanksgiving!

maría cecilia said...

Hi Julie, what a big animal family you have, lots of them!!! You are an outstanding woman my friend, so much to care for!!!
Muchos cariños
María Cecilia

Farm Chick Paula said...

Ooooh- I loved meeting all your "fur" babies, Julie! (And feathered ones too!) I agree with you that having animals around is one of life's greatest blessings. Since Hubby and I don't have any (human) children, we shower our animals with all our love and spoil them in the process... but that's okay by me!

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

You are such a sweet thoughtful lady! Maybe your walks are just guiding you to critters in need of your boundless love.
Brenda

food with style said...

oh do i LOVE THIS POST! i can relate 100xs over to this... living in the country i too have taken in countless cats and dogs that people just dump in the wilds...

it warms my heart so that you are loving all these little bits of fur just like me! my house wears the damage after decades of abuse, but my soul is so much happier! thank you for caring them all, its nice to meet another softy~

Annie of Blue Gables said...

Hello Julie,
With all the other comments you probably won't notice this, but I had to comment. I lost count of numbers of cats and dog(only one or two?) you have. It looks like you are entertained all the time.
Hubby doesn't like house pets, so our only cat stays outdoors. He found us, not the other way around, and chased our two cats away and claimed us. Later we found one had died down the street, sad. And the other became feral. He wanted to be loved like before, but was afraid. We never saw him again. So Hobbs is our one and only. He was kicked out of the neighbors house for hocking up a fur ball on her piano keys. So even if we did want an indoor pet, he probably wouldn't be it.
I LOVE parakeets and had one that lived 9 years. He was out all the time and tasted our food, picked the pins out of my quilt and walked to the edge and dropped them on the floor, looking at them with one eye, head cocked. I taught him to say 20 sentences and he was great entertainment. I miss him. . .
thanks for the fun post and for visiting my blog.
~a