Thursday, November 17, 2011

OUR VACATION...(Part 3)

This is the north end of Lake Powell, it is about 2 hours south of our home.

About every direction that you look you can see it spreading as far as you can see.


It backs up from the Glen Canyon dam down by Arizona.


It has wound it's way back and forth, in and out of all the mountains.
It is famous for house boats and water skiing, warm water and warm days.


It's a beautiful drive around it, just breath taking!


This and the next two pictures is Hidden Arches...we didn't hike down to them,
but it was fun to look way down there at them! Just beautiful.


How would you like to walk across the top of this? Not me!


I felt like a double decker bus! These two ride in their kennel most of the time
but here they ride on me! Bo loves to snuggle up in my lap and Zak has to be up
where he can see. Most of the time that means where you see him here or on the
back of my husbands neck!


We went to the Monticello Temple...it sits right in a neighborhood.
It is one of the smaller temples but so beautiful inside. It is so very
peaceful there.


Right to the side of it is an open field and as it starts to get dark,
the deer come down from the mountain to eat in the fields.


The Angel Moroni sits way up on top...


It was so pretty as we came out that night.


Next morning we headed out to go see Arches National Park.
This big rock was just there along side the highway, very unusual.


This great big arch was just right along the highway too...
can you see the person up there inside the arch? I loved this
big old arch...it was quite the sight!


This place is along side the highway also...a shop and home that has been
there for years. Quite the life time project...very interesting place.

This was on the rock as we left...pretty big fellow!


Here he is again...very cool!


I had never been to Arches...it is so awesome! As you drive up and
into it, on every turn are the most amazing rock formations!


I said to my husband...I think God and Jesus Christ had a lot of fun
when they created this part of the world! The formations are so unusual.


These tall walls of red rock rise up so high, it's just hard to believe,
even though you are sitting there looking up at it!


This formation reminded me of a group of chiefs standing therein their long robes.


This is balanced rock...impressive but not that big, right?!


It is that big, and it is amazing!


This big massive rock was being climbed! Can you see the climber
up above and another one down below? Courage more than mine!


So many neat formations everywhere we looked.


Another massive arch..see the people at the bottom?


You could walk up and into this one and explore all over in it.


I loved this kind of formation too, reminds me of a loaf of bread!


See the people inside at the bottom...there
were children and families having so much fun.


See the people down at the bottom...they are getting ready to climb this!


A picture of Delicate Arch, it has been done on a rock here.


There are lots of these in these mountains, but real ones!

This is a road that winds way up, as we watched there was a big white
vehicle that had got stuck and couldn't go any further. They had to get
help for them to get out of there.


~Me and my hubbie~
The weather was perfect.


What an wonderful world this is...and it is such a gift to be able
to enjoy it and appreciate this God given gift!



See the person?



And another tunnel...and you know what I do in tunnels...roll down the
windows and SCREAM... one of those high soprano screams!!!
What a fun trip we had, thanks for sharing it with us!

LOVE YA

JULIE

42 comments:

Kerin said...

Wow... you guys really got out and had a great time.

Such beautiful places. Yes, we are so blessed with a beautiful world :)

Know what we do when we go through tunnels? We honk.
Pretty sad for the other drivers if the tunnel is a long one :)

wendy said...

awesome awesome trip !!!! (I had to go back and read the other "parts")
I love Arches. I have been there several times. The rock formations there are incredible.

I have only driven Past Lake Powell...never really spent any time there.

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Wow!!! Again and again, WOW! The rock formations are just so incredible. And, that lizzard!! Wow again! Enjoyed seeing photos of you and your hubby, Julie. You two make a fine pair! Take good care. blessings ~ tanna

Garden of Egan said...

Wow! Those are such beautiful pictures.
I can't believe the colors. So rich.

It looks like you had such a great time. The Monticello Temple is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

laurie said...

beautiful such wonderful rock formations, its amazing isn't , just amzing that some don't just tumble down. For me its just amazing to see so much rock, we live with so much bush around us.Just a beautiful trip thankyou for sharing,

Cherie said...

We did this part of your trip in September on our way home from New Mexico/Colorado - I just loved looking out the window because it really is so beautiful and amazing.
And to live 2 hours from Lake Powell - Wow!!!

Paula said...

WOW~ those pictures were amazing, Miss Julie! And the "balanced rock" is a little scary! I wouldn't get too close- I'd be afraid it would decide to become "unbalanced"! *hehe*

Shelia said...

Hi Julie! Oh, my goodness! What lovely places you're seeing! I love going along with you on your vacation.
be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Deila said...

I am so envious of your trips! That lizard is unbelievable, it is so colorful, never seen one like that.

Cheryl @ The Farmer's Daughter said...

These are fabulous photos of awesome scenery, Julie! I've seen a little bit of Utah, but there is so much more I want to see. But NOT from one of those narrow winding roads that I saw in the seventh photo from the bottom! Thanks for sharing these!

renee @ Singing With Birds said...

What a fabulous trip Julie. We went to many of the same places a year ago and enjoyed your beautiful Utah. Thanks for sharing all the fun!

Liesl said...

Incredibly beautiful rock formations Julie! That lizzard looks like he is wearing a bandanna around his neck! Stunning creature and an awesome trip!

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

You guys really do live near some beautiful places. Glad you had a fun trip!

Betsy said...

wow..that lake is so still it looks like a mirror! Just lovely!

That lizard looks fake! ha....wow, the colors are brilliant.

and the photo of you and your hubs is adorable. You're such a beauty!

Roean said...

Arches is fascinating. You certainly need more than a day to see it and feel it all.

Deborah said...

Oh my Julie..you are having fun!
Breath-taking!!
Love your photos..enjoy!!

Deborah xo

Barb said...

Hi Julie!

I love all of your pictures - thank you so much for sharing them with us! Lake Powell is such a fun place to vacation! You just don't understand how enormous it is until you see it - so beautiful! I have never been to Arches, but it's one place the I have on my bucket list! What amazing rocks and formations!

The pictures of the temple are so beautiful - such a place of peace.

Hugs,
Barb

Julie said...

YAY a post from my Utah sister...Julie when I see these posts, I feel like I am in an auditorium or theater viewing a travelogue presentation...really. It is amazing...next best thing to being there, though I know it can NOT come close to 'in person'...Thanks for sharing the beauty of this country...I may never see this except through your blog...so I thank you. I laughed at the puppers in your double decker lap. :-) and love the pic of you and your sweetie. :-) Hugs to you Julie. Our God is an awesome God. xoxo

C'est moi Claudette said...

Julie your last post, the cliffs where the natives lived, we saw those. The kids though,t and so did Randy and I, how cool those were. AMAZING actually.
The 3rd part of your trip also AMAZING. Is it me or does that lizard have a collar on?? lol.
The rock formations are so interesting. You could have a coffee table book just with those!!
So now I know what you do when you go through a tunnel.... don't we have fun?
Hug to all your pups from my pups.
xoxoxoxoxo

MarySue said...

I'm back in town and had such fun catching up on your carcation! Loved all the photos expecially the lizzard, your gorgeous bracelet, your dogs and the dogs you saw (I'm still mourning my beloved Kirby) and soup recipe which I've pinned to Pinterest. Thanks for the fun blog as usual.

Gloria said...

What a fun trip! Those rocks are really amazing. Great photos you captured of all of them. God does bless us with so much beauty to see everyday. We really do have a lot to be thankful for! Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

xoxo...Gloria

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Amazing Julie, just amazing pics!
But that lizard look so big and so colorful, yikes they are a bit freaky!
Thanks for taking me along, amazingly beautiful!
HUgs,
Cindy

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

What a spectacular vacation!! Loved seeing it all through your photos Julie!

jules said...

Your pictures are amazing. There is nothing at all like that scenery here in Wisconsin. So beautiful.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

The pictures are breathtaking! Beautiful! I love the ones of the arches! And a car got stuck? I don't think I would want to drive up that road! Enjoy your day!

faith hope love ღ said...

I love your post! thanks for sharing... God bless you

Maria said...

What a beautiful trip!
Everything was gorgeous... only HE can create such amazing things!
Your weather was also beautiful, Julie! so blue and clear!

Your lizardy friend was also amazing to look at!

Enjoy your wonderful memories!
*Maria

Mom of 12 said...

Such beautiful country! When we go through a tunnel, we scream at the "bottom" of our lungs. Just in a really low voice. Way less irritating than the high screams...
Sandy

Jacqueline said...

My favorite parts of Utah! Everyone should come and see it! I can't believe that lizard was real! Those are amazing colors on him. So fun, we honk, but screaming sounds like a lot more fun!

retrorevival.biz said...

Wow! Such beauty! And how wonderful that it's so close to you so that you are able to take advantage of visiting it:)

~Cindy

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

Julie, I loved every post! Thanks for taking us with you :)
And that rock does look like a loaf of bread! Ha!!!!
I sent you an email.
xo, misha

Kristeen said...

hello -- missed your blog since I've been away lost in the joy of family -- back now and see you have had the traveling bug too -- I've been to all these places and I agree God has made a beautiful earth for us to enjoy -- glad you took photos along the way of you and your sweetheart together -- love you happy faces --
hugs..

Sydney said...

What a marvelous, beautiful, and special vacation...and with the one that you love. xo

Connie said...

What a fun little vacation. It is remarkable what mother nature (With lots of help from Heavenly Father and Jesus)can do. We went through Zion National park a few years ago and I remember being mesmerized by all of the beautiful rock formations and all the colors. Who knew rock could be so colorful.
Thanks for the tour of other areas that I hope to one day see.

Something Special said...

Hi Julie, I love arches and also all of that area of Utah. so much to see. I have been to Hole in the rock too, and must say I feel like when i am in there, I hope there is no earthquake! lol

NanaDiana said...

Julie- That part of the country is just so beautiful...and so different from the area we live in...not a hill to be found in this area. I love that you shared so much of your trip here. Hope your week is a good one so far. xo Diana

no spring chicken said...

Such amazing beauty! I can always count on you Julie, to show me the beauty I'm missing in these western states.

Blessings, Debbie

Terrie said...

What a magnificient trip. Amazing to see how God made the stunning views ! Thanks for taking us along. Open eyes for me.

Karen said...

wow julie.how beautiful are those pictures.. and how creative is our god..no two alike,,and he gives us this all to see and enjoy..
very cool..thanks for sharing that with us..I would of never of laid eyes on those marvelious wonders had it not been for you..so glad you guys had a great time..
Have a blessed thanksgiving my friend..

pollydove said...

Looks like another fun trip with your hubby and those cute little puppies of yours! I didn't realize you were so close to Lake Powell. I drove past it this last summer for the first time (heading to AZ) and was just in awe! It truly is spectacular!!! :)

Mrs.B said...

What a great trip. Awesome pics!

Brandi said...

I really hope that one day I can come and visit beautiful Utah! Your vacation pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I can't get over that lizard. He looks like he's wearing a collar!