Monday, May 21, 2012

I TOOK A DAY TO GO EXPLORING...

I took a day and went exploring...

I started out at the historic Art Museum and
Opera House. Many of the Mormon pioneers
were from other countries and many were a
cultured people. The first thing they did in
whatever place they were in, was to set up
schools and social halls. It was fun to see all
the beautiful art work here.

This is the old Opera House, it is still used today too.

This, and these below were in the art museum...I really
loved my tour of it all, hope you do too!






A pioneer home and table setting that I liked.

This is underneath the Opera House, quite a foundation!
They could move the stage up or down from here.




I took a tour of the Brigham Young home too. It was really
beautiful...I could live here!

I loved the big front porch of it!

The old piano...

I always love the old wavy glass in the windows...

An old picture of the house...with a very rare snow!

I love that the lady of the house was like me, she too loved
to have a beautiful table setting for special dinners.


Nice rooms...

This chair was huge, it was built for Brigham
by a friend.

A portrait of Brigham Young

This was his bedroom and the part of the house
where her lived out the last six years of his life.

The pioneers grew cotton in St. George, perfect
climate for it. That is why St. George is also
called Dixie.

This big old tree was struck by lightning years
ago and a big rod holds it together.

Before the temple was completed, they held
services here.

Brigham's office that is attached to his bedroom.

These are almond trees...the grounds are so pretty.

The back side of the house...

A portrait of the pioneer leader Brigham Young.

A painting of St. George in the 1800's.

There are lots of old grape vines around St. George. They
came with the pioneers, we have 7 of them in our yard.

A wonderful art gallery that I went to. The artist's name
is Bedard and I loved his work!

I watched him paint...see the little girl dancing on the snow
in the painting above his head, that moved me to tears because of
all that the pioneers went through. So many lost their lives on the
very hard trek, but the children were happy and this little girl's
dance made me cry. Yes, I bought a small one of this and 2 others
also, so moving and so meaningful.





St. George has many places of art that I so loved exploring...
I hope you enjoyed it all with me!

(There is another post below this one,
click on older posts.)

MY LOVE TO ALL

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Where do I begin, Julie. The gr-kid-lings are just beautiful. Growing too fast, aren't they?

Your kitchen changes & decor is just lovely. Yes, the cupboards look much nicer now. How lucky you found the vintage fabric & papers that you could use.

St. George is very interesting & intriguing. We have been all over Utah but not that far south yet. I do believe it should go on the bucket list. I didn't realize we were so close to you when we went to AZ last summer, sugar! I could have visited you. Sure a lot of wonderful sights to see.

I think I shared with you before our son lives down the road from the temple in Kensington, MD & I so love driving down his street as the temple towers over the trees & homes. It is a beauty.

So glad you are enjoying the move, Julie. Have missed hearing from you.

TTFN ~
Have a great day ~
Hugs,
Marydon

RoeH said...

I had breakfast at the Bear Paw Cafe last time I was in St. George. I love that town. Check my blog back a few posts and see what I did with the Mormon Trek. A book! :)

Julie said...

Love all the art...and the statues. Such talent...The big ole bed and the quilts at the BY house were awesome!!! I know you will love having some of the artwork in your new nest!! Thanks for sharing all the wonders there in St. George...so FULL of history. enjoyed!!

NanaDiana said...

I was wondering where you were. I am too tired tonight to take this all in so I am coming back tomorrow so that I can really take my time to see the photos and read your words. xo Diana

Bob & Marilee Neff said...

Oh, Julie; Thanks for such a beautiful post...brings back happy memories of childhood when we would visit St. George...I remember that huge chair for Pres. Young...and the beautiful home. thanks for sharing...We just returned from visiting our daughter and her family in Lehi...and am wishing we had taken the "long" way home and spent some time in St. George. I'm thinking next time we'll plan that way.
P. S. - those "grands" are so adorable.
Marilee

Unknown said...

Gorgeous Julie, just a very cool tour!
Cindy @ Applestone Cottage

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Thanks for the tour of beautiful St. George! We did this tour many years ago and loved it. Thanks for the beautiful pictures Julie! xo