Saturday, March 28, 2009

OH..THE CHARM of CHICKENS ! ! !

CHICKENS...we just love to have chickens! The crowing of the Rooster, the cackleing of the Hens..the eggs, gathered by excited grandchildren. We keep them of course, not to save money, but as pets! For the simple pleasure of their company, their beauty, and their fresh eggs. To have the joy of "the living things of the earth." We keep them for the joy they bring..because no one outgrows the pleasure of finding an egg in the nesting box..still warm! We just got 3 more Hens..the Rooster is so happy! Maybe this summer we'll have some babies..I hope!









My daughter Lindsey painted this Rooster above when she was still in high school










Well, you can see that I love chickens! I was raised on a 300 acre farm in Weston, Idaho..I loved it . It was a great way for a girl to grow up, I was a real tomboy, anything my brothers could do, I could do. I drove the tractor as hay was hauled, played in the loft of our big Red barn, rode my horse Rusty (he was part work horse &part wild Mustang). I learned how to bake bread, made 8 loaves a week, the old fashioned way..cooked the meals..did the washing on the old ringer washers..ironed my Dad's big white shirts..cleaned the house. As a 12 year old I resented it, Mom had gone to work so alot fell to me to do. Years later, when I was raising 8 children, all that work and knowledge paid off and I knew how to do it all.
I loved spending tome outside climbing trees, I'd sit up in the apple tree reading a book, and with the salt shaker, eating apples. Sometimes when Mom would call me, I'd pretend I couldn't hear her! We loved to play in the loft of the barn, we'd swing out on a rope and land in a huge pile of straw..so much fun! I loved spending time with my Dad..he made my brothers respect me and treat me kind. He taught me to use my imagination, to love animals, to love to sing..he always made me feel beautiful! Mom was my example of a strong woman..charming..beautiful..fun loving. Her and Dad were quite the sweethearts.
In the winter, I loved the sleigh-rides, the warm straw, the bells on the horses, the cold, the blue skies. In the summer, lieing on the grass watching the clouds..imagining. Our 4 big pine trees out front, full of baby birds&yellow canary's. Playing "No bears are out tonight" at dark. My brothers teaching me how to use a mitt&catch a ball. Me and my sister, playing all day on the big front porch..dressing up, putting on plays and singing to the big pine trees.
Country life was the life for me..and it still is. I'm so blessed to live a rural life, surrounded by good hard working people. To them it's not about how much education or money you have. It's about taking care of each other, finding the joy of working hard and loving each other. That one of the reason's we moved here, I wanted the last two kids to understand and love the country life, to have a glimpes of what I knew and loved. Guess you could say..I'm pure country!

10 comments:

Cowboy mom said...

I love your chickens! I've started a small collection myself. Some day(maybe),I'm hoping that I can expand my kitchen(it's tiny) and decorate with chickens. sigh... I love the country, too. I wasn't raised in the country, but I'm soooo greatful my kids get to be.

Michael & Lindsey said...

I remember hearing all of those childhood memories of your while growing up. I have the same affection about my own childhood. Each memory is still so vivid and full of happiness. I definitely have the greatest outcome from moving to the country.....my terrific husband, Michael. Love ya!

Sarah Bogh said...

I always remember chickens when i think of your house and when we used to hang out there. i always thought "how does she make chickens look so cute!?!" i never thought i would have liked chickens as decor until i saw your house. i loved it! me personally....i hated having to go out to the chicken coup and gather eggs! they stink and they peck and i can't stand the thought of eating the eggs when i just picked them up out of the nest. yuck! i'm all about being a country girl until you make me eat a non-store bought egg. anything else on the farm i can handle but not fresh brown poo-ey eggs. it is a good way to grow up though, i have always told me mom that by growing up in the country i had so many advantages over the city kids i know. i'm just going to have to bring my kids home to grandma and grandpa's farm to make sure they arent total city kids.

Julie Harward said...

Sarah..I feel the same way about milk..it needs to be from the store!

Michele and Todd said...

You have been so busy posting, and doing a great job of it too. I have not had much time lately to check out the blogs. Glad I visited again and looked over all your new posts.
I love your real chickens and your collection too. You are getting to be a real pro at this blog thing.

Andrew and Tamara said...

I agree with Sarah, when I see decorative chickens I think of you and your house! They were always so cute! Sounds like you were a little rebel..ignoring your mom;) I agree there are just great experiences you have from growing up in the country, ones you can't have anywhere else. The older I get the more I realize that! And I am sure glad you guys came to good old wayne...high school definately wouldn't have been as fun without Linds around!!!

Hayley said...

Oh, the country life! How it seemed to bore me when I as young, and now it calls to me everyday. I love visiting Teasdale and enjoying the simple things in life. Great post, I also remember the cute chickens you had in your kitchen.

It's nice to read your blog and think of home. Hope all is well :)

Something Special said...

This was a beautiful post. I really enjoyed reading about your childhood!

The Kent Family in Kenai said...

I love to eat chicken:) My dad had chickens in his backyard and they seemed like hard work. I can't imagine living on a farm, that really would teach you work ethic wouldn't it. Either that or burn you out. My poor Mom, I think she got burned out. Thanks for sharing the memories, it is cool to hear pretty much the same memories from my Mom's sister! Love you xoxo

Court said...

You certainly do love chickens! I spent a TON of time on my grandparents farm so I can somewhat relate. I guess you could say that I'm 25% country :) Oh, your daughter's painting of the rooster is excellent!