Thursday, April 2, 2009

A FRIEND TO MAN...


LET ME LIVE IN MY HOUSE BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD



IT'S HERE THE RACE OF MEN GO BY.



THEY ARE GOOD, THEY ARE BAD, THEY ARE WEAK,



THEY ARE STRONG,



WISE FOOLISH...SO AM I;



THEN WHY SHOULD I SIT IN THE SCORNER'S SEAT,



OR HURL THE CYNIC'S BAN?



LET ME LIVE IN MY HOUSE BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD



AND BE A FRIEND TO MAN.





I have always loved this poem, and it seems to fit, as I live in my house by the side of the road.

I got to thinking about all the favorite places I have lived..our farm house in Weston, Idaho sat just off the main road. After my Dad retired and we moved to Logan, I loved the house we had there, it sat right beside the road. It was the first time I'd lived off the farm, and it was so much fun to live where people walked by. Sitting out on the porch, I could visit, say Hi, or stroll along with a friend.

After I got married, we lived in a home that sat way back off the road, but I could still see our friends and neigbors go by. I'd get on my horse ( O'MAR Shareff..an Arabian) and go for long rides.

In Kaysville, we lived on a caldasac, the kids loved that..the street was theirs! It was a good place, lots of parking for family, we even held a neighbhood party on the road there.

When we moved to Loa, we lived by the side of the road too..and now in Bicknell, we live again, by the side of the road. I love to sit in the big reading chair, looking out at the pastures and watch people go by. Some in a big hurry, some slowing down for the cows, some hualing big loads of hay, equipment, houses, horses, 4wheelers, trailers, lumber, R.V.'s. Alot of times I know who just drove by when I see their vehicle.

You know the red-neck joke...In small towns, when your following somebody down the road, and they turn without signaling..but it's OK, because you know who it is and where they're going.



I can only wish the same kind of familair circumstances for all of you..may you all love where you live, and most important of all, love the people you are blessed to live by. We are all brothers and sisters, then, now and in the life to come. I hope you love living by the side of the road, being a friend to man. "Leaving the light on for you friend."

2 comments:

Cowboy mom said...

Well!! You just made my day. That was Great!!! I love the way you brought the relationship of the human race to such an understandable level. Thanks!

The Kent Family in Kenai said...

Did you write that poem? Emily writes poems, she is really good. My email is mokent73@yahoo.com, for facebook.