Saturday, June 13, 2009

GOOD DADS...

May families everywhere be blessed with a "good dad" who will lead his family well, who will listen to the voice of the Lord and follow him in rightousness.
~ Safe in a daddy's and grandpa's arms~

My sweet husband, who was a "good dad" and now is a "good grandpa"

"Good Dad's" to be, will never take you any place but this to marry you~

Our son's Darin, Shane, who are "good dad's"..here with their dad

How wonderful for a daughter to grow up and pick a "good daddy",for her child

To Daddy's girls who had a "good dad"

To brothers who were "good dad's"..my brother Orville who passed away because of cancer, he would have been 50 the day of his funeral. I miss him SO much, he was a great brother!

My dad, served a 3 year mission to Australia

Oh, I'm so blessed to have had the "good dad"

My sweet, handsome Dad

Me and Corey, who's a "good dad" to his two little girls

"Good dad's" make good husbands, dad's and grandps's

"What a beautiful place this world will be when every father sees the importance of teaching their children the principles that will help them be happy and successful. Fathers teach best when they lead by good example; govern their little ones with patience, kindness, and love unfeigned; and have the same spirit of love for children that Jesus exemplified."(M. Russell Ballard)
Dad; the one who is versatile enough to plow a field, build a house, or lead a corporation; change a diaper, soothe a hurt, or throw a ball. He's asked to be strong enough to protect a family and gentle enough to cry on his shoulder.
We ask him to love us when we don't deserve it and forgive us when we don't love in return. We need him to watch only us, to see something special that others over look, even when we're not the star of the team or the lead in the play.
We ask our Dad's to provide us a feeling of safety and security in a world they know has none. We ask them to turn a positive face toward us, despite problems of their own, so that we may grow up in confidence.
We expect Dad's to teach us about consequences of our actions, to be firm enough that we believe them and not so strong that we rebel. Dad's have to watch, unflinching, while we suffer the results of our own actions and not rescue us too soon that we do not learn the hard, important lessons.
I don't remember that Dad preached order, but many mornings I saw him poring over the family budget. He didn't preach about how I should treat others: I just watched him lift everyone who came into his presence. When people needed his help, it was given. I know because when I needed him, he was always there. He didn't command me to be honest, but I knew I could trust his word.
So, do we ask too much of our Dad's? Perhaps...just as we ask too much of our Mom's. Yet, it is in the Lord's great wisdom that as we come to earth so vulnerable, so open, so innocent, that we must depend on someone who has jouneyed here a few years longer.
I'm so grateful for my Dad, he held my hand, helped me to have courage. Taught me so much, things I depend on everyday. From him I know what a "good dad" is. He taught me how to work, how to play, how to get along with people, how to love, how to be easy going, how men should treat me, how beautiful I am.
From him I learned to love animals. I get my sweet tooth from him, he always was handing out candy to all the grandkids, they loved it. No one could say my name so lovingly as he did. He always protected me, made my brothers treat me good. He'd take me and my sis to town on saturdays and take us to movies and out to eat. I loved watching him talk to people, he had so many friends. He had the most beautiful deep voice, he was always called upon to sing. He played the piano by ear and sang, he would gather our family around the piano and have us sing together. He taught me of the great love Heavenly Father had for me because he had given his most precious son, for me. Dad served a 3 year mission to Australia, what a good example, in all things.
Dad loved my Mom, they were sweethearts. I loved to peek around the corner and see them kissing, it made me feel so secure. She told me of their great romance, I loved hearing those stories!

So, Happy Fathers Day to all those "good dad's" out there, value them, love them, treasure them, treat them good, let them know how very blessed your life is because of them. (I miss you Daddy, sending all my love to you~)

4 comments:

The Kent Family in Kenai said...

I remember the ludens cough drops. Grandpa feeding them to us like candy and telling us stories. I loved sitting on his lap, he was so sweet. And I feel very lucky to have had the chance to live close enough to get to know Uncle Orville a little bit, he was an awesome example. I am also very blessed to have a good Dad, who is the best example to me :) What would we do without them? Thanks for the post and the pictures!

The Askeroth Family said...

This post made me think that I had forgotten Father's Day yesterday! Yikes, that would have been really bad! I have been so blessed to have a good dad and a good father for my children, I know how lucky I am. I wish I could have known Grandpa - I think it's not fair I never knew a grandpa. I think I have really missed out! Great post mom. :)

grandkrumps said...

Thank you for these wonderful pictures. It makes me really think seriously about Father's Day. Dads have such influence on us--and we are surrounded by good dads. Thanks again!

Michael & Lindsey said...

Thanks for the post mom. I loved reading about Grandpa (since I never got to meet him) and seeing his pictures - he was a good looking guy! I can't wait to meet him someday. I can tell he was in incredible man. Thanks! Love ya!