Tuesday, October 26, 2010

OUR VACATION TO NAUVOO, IL. 2010

Nauvoo, (Hebrew for Beautiful) is an experience that took us back to a remarkable
century of faith, determination, and sacrifice. It is a place where my ancestors were,
where their faith was tried and tested.

Where a greater testimony was gained for them, that gave them the
strength to push westward as they were driven out of Nauvoo. It is a place filled with
inspiring stories of those early people who established Nauvoo. Their homes still stand as
a witness of an unforgettable time in Mormon history. In Nauvoo, we discovered the lives
of those who had lived there for the good of Zion, and guided the early church into a
restoration of everything under heaven.


I love to sit by the window when we fly, as I looked down upon the clouds,
I couldn't help but think how organized they looked...like little cotton balls
all laid in rows. I know that God organized and created the world, and it is so
beautiful. I know that he loves order in all things, that equals peace and beauty.


As were waiting for our car to be brought around, we saw this on the
very spot we were to wait. It wasn't for me but it was funny that my
name was written there, as if we were being expected and welcomed.


I loved all the big old bridges that spanned the
Mississippi river, they were fun to cross.

The Mississippi river was beautiful from every side.

We saw this big beautiful Oak and had to circle back to
take it's picture. It was so fun to be there in the Autumn
of the year and see all the gorgeous Fall colors. I had fun
gathering a big bag of acorns to bring home as a remembrance.


Joseph and Emma

Behind the L.D.S. Church's visitor center there are all these beautiful
statues. When we were there 22 years ago, it was just the new statues and
cement and now it was a magnificent garden, filled with trees and all kinds of
beautiful, fragrant flowers and the whole area inside and out is so clean and peaceful.

Woman in Prayer

Mother and those who follow her lead.

Mothers, teachers of their children

The trust of a child in her parents

The Joy of Motherhood and Joy in Family

The beauty of the work in woman's hands

A Statue depicting God the Father and his son Jesus Christ
appearing to the boy Joseph Smith in the sacred grove.

A bust of Joseph Smith as an adult

A pioneer oxen yoke

Many painting are in the visitors center, this one is of
the saints being driven out of their beautiful Nauvoo
in the middle of a cold, icy February, crossing the great
Mississippi on ice. A time of sadness but great strength.

They were driven from their homes and drove out of Nauvoo.

Life had to go on, babies were born and babies died.

Nauvoo was nothing but a mosquito infested swamp when the saints got there.
They dug trenches that diverted the springs and drained the swamps. They built
their homes and they built a Temple. They prospered...maybe too much, because
before long people got afraid that they might take over, troubles arose and before
long they were driven out to find another place that they could dwell in peace.


A beautiful statue of Jesus Christ in the visitors center

Many painting depicting Jesus Christ who is the very core of our belief.

The Savior teaching...

Jesus Christ...he is my personal Savior, oh how I love him.

Big red barns everywhere, this one belongs to our church and
houses the big Belgium horse teams, I loved visiting them too.

We went on wagon rides around the old part of Nauvoo...
I loved this so much. I loved the horses and I loved seeing
Nauvoo as it once was. And I would have loved to be sitting
on this big guys back!

Down beautiful dirt roads we went, roads that were there back then.

This is Rick and Rod..they are a team of Belgium horses that we rode with.
They were so sweet and pulled so well together, I wanted to bring them home.

I loved their great big old feet..as big as pie
plates and they are such gentle giants!

And I love this picture of Ron and I with Rick and Rod.


Everywhere we drove in Illinois, we saw so many old cars all
fixed up nice just scooting down the freeways..loved them!

The flowers at the church's visitors center smelled SO good!

And were so beautiful.

Well thats enough for today, I will share more tomorrow.
This was such a great vacation, best one we have ever
taken. I took 300 pictures and developed a bunch of 5x7's
and 8x10's to put up in our home, to keep Nauvoo in our
home and in our hearts.

44 comments:

Julie said...

Julie,

You and your sweetie have the most fantabulous trips and make so many moments and memories...and then you capture them in photos. What a treasure. AND...you share them with us. Thanks for all the beauty and history. Loved the bronzed statuary especially of the children. Hugs to you.

Cielo Azul Jewelry said...

WOW! I love the oak tree...those leafs=0) Looks like you had a wonderful trip and I love all the statues. I never realized how much I like them until I got older, lol.

Thank you for sharing all those wonderful pictures! I feel like I went too=0)

XOXO,
Carol

Tracy said...

Thanks so much for sharing these beautiful photos and your testimony. Excellent!

Amanda said...

Beautiful! Some day I'll be able to go back there to see all the church historical sights! Thanks for sharing!

Suzanne said...

I love Nauvoo. We haven't been there for years -- that's a destination we've got to plan on visiting in the near future. My ancestor's home is one that has been restored too. (Simeon Adams Dunn)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This looks like a really nice trip!

Betsy said...

Looks like you had a really nice trip! Love the picture of you and Ron! And I love the one of the clouds from your plane seat...that is my favorite part of flying! :)

A Vintage Chic said...

One of my favorite places on the planet...I haven't been back there since 2000...time to go again!

Your pictures are so lovely...you need to email me and tell me who your ancestors were there...mine were all there, too...maybe we're related!

avintagechic2@yahoo.com

Hope you're having a wonderful night, dear friend...

Julie

Ann said...

What a fabulous trip you had. Love all the photos, that tree is just gorgeous. I really like the picture of the horse's big old feet :)

NanaDiana said...

What a gorgeous post. Such a connection and feeling that ties you to your past. That, in itself, is a blessing. On top of that you have love of family and friends and a deep strong faith. You are an awesome Godly woman. Hugs- Diana

LDH said...

Wonderful photos of a great trip and time together!

gigi said...

I love Nauvoo! I was there 2 years agon in November and it was freezing! I could not believe how cold it was! You took some wonderful pictures!

Connie said...

i've never been to Nauvoo! I really want to go! Maybe I can talk my hubby into taking me there this summer!
Thanks for sharing the gorgeous pictures! I remember when those statues were built and placed in Nauvoo. What an exciting time that was for the church and for Relief Society!
Cute pic of you and your sweet husband!

Red Couch Recipes said...

I haven't been to Nauvoo in awhile, but I remember the outdoor statues and what an impression they made on me. Back then, there were no old cars on the road -- what is up with that? Also there were no hotels. Need to go again. Looks like a wonderful trip. Joni

Brenda said...

I'm so excited to see your pictures of Nauvoo! Our Family visited Nauvoo last summer, it was a memorable and educational trip. We all loved it! There is so much to do, so much to see! My husband and I were so glad to have five of our children with us(one is serving a mission in Virginia). I can't wait to see the rest of your pictures! Thanks for sharing! I would love to go back again! Yeah--I will go back through your pictures and memories! :D

Jocelyn said...

Looks like a great trip. Such a wonderful place to visit. I went about 7 years ago and just loved it. My favorite part was the Temple. To date this is my favorite temple I have attended.

kmjepp said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time! Such a pretty place. We went there a few years ago and just loved it!

Cherie said...

So glad you got to spend time in Nauvoo and I will look forward to all the posts from your trip!
I LOVE Nauvoo. We have visited twice and spent one whole day in the Temple there. It is wonderful - the history, the buildings, the landscape. It is just a special place to be.
After our trips I also dedicated a place in my living room that is my "Nauvoo" spot. It really makes an impression on the heart and soul.
Your pictures are gorgeous!!

paperbird said...

Your trip sounds wonderful Julie- I hope to make it there sometime soon but for now I will just enjoy the beauty through your images! You and your hubby look so very happy- such a good thing!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I love going to anyplace where history is featured. What a blessing it is to be able to go back and learn more about what your ancestors went through. Not to mention that it was beautiful back there! I love those statues with mom's and children. Sometimes I wish we still dressed like that :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Mimi Sue said...

Looks like lots of fun. We hope to visit in the spring. We've never been there so it's time. Mimi

Liesl said...

Looks like you had a wonderfull trip Julie,so many sights to see and even more to do! I love the red barn and the horses.
xoxo
Liesl

Dell Miller, Owner said...

I loved this post. I have gone back to Nauvoo for the past two years. I go in the spring to a Women's Retreat. Love it. I grow so much each time I grow. I would love to know if you were there for the blessing and if you have family there?
The pictures of the fall trees just took my breath away.
love from one sister to another

Marie said...

What a wonderful trip you had Julie! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Todd and I hope to be able to visit Nauvoo one day. It holds a special place in our hearts too. XXOO

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

What wonderful pics Julie!
Sounds like an awesome trip and the pic of you and the hubby is just so nice! You look gorgeous!
Hugs,
Cindy

Karen said...

Hey Julie.. Sorry it has been so long since Ive been by to visit.. my computer issues have been more than I have been willing to deal with..
I love your vacations pictures.. we didnt do a vacation this year , but I can live vicariously(dont know how you spell it) threw my blogging buddies. Ilove the picture of the horse from the view of the carriage..
Ilove those kinda of horses..
Well it is good chatting with you again,,I promise to come by again real soon..
god bless..

Midlife Mom said...

What a lovely vacation trip! Beautiful pictures of all the wonderful things that you got to see. I love the team of draft horses, their feet are as big as pie plates! Gentle giants for sure.

I love the statues too, especially the ones of motherhood, such an important part of our lives to make such a huge impact on our children's lives. I love motherhood, I wish I could have had many children but am blessed to have gotten the one son that we have!

Amazing history, I can see why you enjoyed visiting there and I'm sure you will go back again!

bj said...

I love sharing in your beautiful trips, Julie.
I know you really enjoyed this one..and I really like the photo of you and your honey man with the horses.:)

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Julie...what a lovely trip!! I LOVE all the statues. So beautiful :)

Blessings!
Gail

Gypsy Heart said...

Beautiful photos! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful trip...will look forward to more posts & pics about it.

Have a blessed week ~
xo
Pat

Bonnie said...

Julie, thank you for posting this. We took a trip to Nauvoo and were there the day before President Hinckley was to arrive for the final inspection of the new temple. what a sacred place and exciting time for those who had worked so hard. Not many visitors were there then, most I am sure saving it for after the temple was open. We got to watch them adjust the light on Moroni the night we were there so it was just right. Many of the architects and workers were there. It was a very special evening.

We did not have any photos as were experimenting with video then. Haven't seen them since if you know what I mean. So I am loving the photos and cannot wait for the next installment.

I cannot believe those old horse are still there pulling people around after all these years. Love that, it looks like you had a great time.

koralee said...

Wow what a trip...thank you for sharing. I could look at your photos forever..always filled with joy...love...and family. xoox

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Love that big ole red barn and Rod and Rick are too cute...you need to change your name to start with an R, so you will match in the picture with Ron, Rod and Rick...you could be Rulie!! At least just for a little while. Looks like a great vacation...I love the history that is ingrained in so many places throughout our great country. Thanks for sharing some of your life and hometown history.

Jewls said...

I LOVE Nauvoo! My in-laws live just a few hours away so we go there a lot! Next time you're in IL you have to visit the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, it's seriously amazing!

Love your pictures, what a beautiful place!

gnee @ Singing With Birds said...

Julie,

What a treat to share in your trip to beautiful Nauvoo. You went the perfect time of the year. I too love the picture of you and Ron with the horses. I'm sure you will tell about the temple tomorrow...such an incredible House of the Lord. I will look forward to it! ;D

Sue said...

Hi Julie....I actually got chills when I saw your name written in the parking lot where you were waiting...did you do the same when you saw that....I love experiances like that...they speak to you...and what a beautiful place with those lovely statues...thank you for sharing....I am trying to get back to normal after the last couple of weeks...still getting the house in order after being in Jersey for so long...so hopefully I will be back to visiting all my blogs real soon....thank you for stopping by today....Sue.

Gloria said...

How inspiring to see firsthand all of this history. Those are very beautiful statues, paintings, majestic oak tree, and grounds kept up so perfectly!
Love those sweet horses. What a fun trip you had. So glad you enjoyed yourselves!
Sweet blessings to you,
xoxo Gloria @}~`}~~~

Kerin said...

Such beautiful pictures of Nauvoo, thanks for sharing them with us!
I can tell that the trip added to your testimony, and that you have a great love for the gospel.
Hope you have a great day!

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

Looks like a great trip and your photos will make great art work in your house.

I look forward to exploring your blog more!

Kathleen From Eggs In My Pocket said...

What a wonderful trip and I love reading all of the interesting facts! Such pretty places to visit! Keep having fun! blessings,Kathleen

Susan B said...

It looks like you had a lovely trip. I enjoyed all your beautiful photos. I especially love the statues depicting motherhood and families. Thank you for sharing.

Jenglamgirl said...

I hope you know how touching and warm your posts are. I feel like I have had a spiritual boost and its wonderful. I love hearing and reading about our people. Your words are so sweet kind and true. I bet your home is as warm and fullfilling as your posts. I am so glad your trip was beautiful and memorable. Great pictures. Hugs, Jen

pollydove said...

How did I miss this post???? You guys really are a beautiful couple and I am loving all those wagon rides you got to take! Those are so fun! (I bet these Nauvoo posts took you a long time to do ... they are packed with pics and "tid bits"." Thanks for sharing!

Creative Mish said...

I should have started here first. All your pictures and information is awesome.