Monday, September 21, 2009

ODE TO FALL....and Autumn adornments~


"DELICIOUS AUTUMN"
My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns
(George Eliot)

Come, autumn, come. Bring leaves of crimson on golden bough; misty morns and amber dusk; a harvest of plenty, and pumpkins on the vine. And so the gathering season begins, swathed in exquisite abundance and earthen beauty.

~Enjoying the autumn leaves...til the cows come home~

" Come, ye thankful people come; Raise the song of harvest home.

All is safely gathered in ere the winter storms begin.

~Counting our many blessings...naming them one by one...seeing what God has done~

~The chickens are gathering in a little earlier every night~

The end of our mantle...it's half of a juniper tree, I love natural things in my home.

Pumpkins abound not only at farm stands and farmers markets, but in the fields and gardens...and in my home. I have always loved them~ I used to read a story to my kids about a little mouse that made a house inside of an old thrown out pumpkin. He would gather all the soft things he could find..like milk weed fluff, and put it inside the pumpkin. When winter hit, and the pumpkins eyes and mouth would slowly close, he was safe and warm inside for the winter.

~It's looking very Fall-ish in the house too~

The gathering place for our family seems to always be around the fireplace and TV..or the dinning room table...or the pool table...as long as we are together, it's where ever we are gathered together that matters.

"Through orange-leaves shining spheres of gold,

Where crook-necks are coiling and yellow fruit shines,

And the sun of September melts down on his vines.

(John Greenleaf Whittier)


The cool air is as sharp as glass, and the blazing fall colors awaken long-forgotten memories of playing "no bears are out tonight" outside and looking back at the house with the warm glow of the lights on inside...big pots of soup and homemade bread Mom would make...warm baths before bed and stories read to me by Dad.

~These mountains behind our home are so entertaining during any kind of a storm~

Even my little Praline is looking for a cuddly-warm place...besides my lap..She can't sit on my lap 24-7 you know!

~Fall...those crisp night when you just want to cuddle up by the fire~

Fall is such a gift as we head toward winter, offering us a soft passage into the colder, darker months ahead...I hope I can be one who scatters kindness to all I come in contact with, for I know it will come back to gently light on my shoulder as the leaves that fall from the trees in Fall.
...what a wonderful circle it is~

"Cold days and a good book go hand-in-hand"

I love Fall so very much, it truly is my favorite season. Here in this beautiful place, it seems to last so long and is so mild and peaceful. It turns out that, at this time of year, oranges-reds-yellows are my favorite colors. I can hardly wait to get up into the mountains to gather a big arm-full of leaves for my home.

I love the chill in the weather and the warmth of the sun all mixed together...sending me off to bake...homemade bread, chocolate chip/pumpkin cookies, carrot cake, soups of all kinds, Halloween treats for the grand kids. I love too, to curl up with a good book, I just bought "The Undaunted"..can't wait to get into it... to get my jeans and boots out again, and sweaters...I've had enough of flip-flops and painted toe nails. I love living where the season's change..the renewal of it all suits me just fine.

I love long horse rides on my horse this time of year too, it's not too hot, so that we have to go out early to beat the heat. We can head out at any time of the day...I love riding up in the mountains among the colored leaves ...running into deer drinking at the stream, breathing in the crisp fall air..nothing like it!

Next post will be the BEST chili and homemade bread recipe's ever...stay tuned :D

29 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh, and what majestic mountains they are! I can't imagine having that view. And horses! Lucky girl. I looked for your email address, but couldn't find it. Just wanted to give you a tip. Couldn't exactly tell for sure, but did you have the flash on on your camera when you took the top photos? Love your fall decorating, but the images look yellowed a bit, as though the flash was on. A blogger early on (near on two years now when I started blogging) told me something I've taken to heart. Never, ever use the flash. Turn on an overhead light, use natural light. But don't use the flash. It has been advice that has served me well!
Brenda

tara said...

I love fall as well, hoping it will cool off soon here so I can cuddle by the fire in my sweaters and jeans as well~ great decor and cute kitty!

Brenda said...

You sure have a BEAUTIFUL VIEW! I love your FALL DECOR! It all looks GREAT! YOU ARE CRAFTY! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for stopping by!

koralee said...

You are getting me all excited...I adore this time of year. Your home looks amazing...puts mine to shame..just bought a few white pumpkins yesterday...so off to a start I need to do alot more! I love your area of the world...your images are so so lovely of the mountains/hills. I can see why you would love to jump on your horse and take off! You are blessed! Happy week to you!

Lorilee said...

Your decorations are beautiful! I haven't even begun fall decorating yet. My patriotic stuff is still out. It is very hot here today, although I have heard rumors of a cool front tomorrow. It is hard to get motivated to crawl into the hot attic for fall decorations with temps in the 90's!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

EEEK that "Fall" letter block thing is adorable!!! I love it so!

The Askeroth Family said...

I was at Target today looking at the Halloween children's books, and I thought about the one with the mouse and the pumpkin. I wish I could find a copy of it somewhere, that was my favorite. I love Fall too!

Beth at Aunties said...

Your post was wonderful and I could feel almost feel the crisp cool air, smell the inviting aromas from your kitchen, curl up next to your fireplace while you spun stories of mice and pumpkins!
It was lovely. I too love the Fall.

Hey, my husband's grandma use to live in Tropic and their backyard was the backside of Bryce Canyon.
Your setting reminds me of it...although in a MUCH larger scale. He is related to the Heatons, Glovers and in Tropic his grandma was married to Loren Pollock, his step grandpa... I was just wondering if we even had more in common!

Please tell me what you think of the Undaunted. The 'Hole in the Rock pioneers' were also many of his ancestors.
Thanks for a beautiful post!

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

Hi there. I just found your blog and wanted to thank you for all of your wonderful pictures!! I can't believe that you are a Grandma to 19!! I'm looking forward to catching up with your old posts!! God bless. : )

~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Shelia said...

Hi Julie! Oh, what beautiful Fallness you have. Wish I could actually feel some coolness, but alas it's still almost 90' here. Thanks for your visit and Happy Fall!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Cowboy mom said...

Could I have the other half of that juniper tree?(wink) We put rock up over a year ago but we never have done our mantel sigh....
Mostly because That is exactly what Roger wanted to do. Use an old cedar tree but we've never taken the time to make it happen.

Fall's about my favorite season But, I'm horrible at decorating. So thank's for the pictures.

Elyse said...

what a lovely post from start to finish!

happy autumn!

xo
elyse

grandkrumps said...

Your decorations are so perfect. I, on the other hand, am pretty boring! But perhaps it's because my head is so jam-packed with Statistics! I do have a pair of wooden bunnies with a 1/2" hole directly through the center of their heads, where I put in ears for each month or season of the year. For September it is apples, with a small apple necklace on a ribbon, bows tied at the nape of their ears, and a "magic wand" with an apple on the end.

I had "lost" those and just put them out for the first time a couple of days ago. Your house is beauty to the hilt. How I'd love to come and see your beautiful corner of the world in person! Maybe someday it will happen!

Michael & Lindsey said...

Mom, I totally remember that mouse sleeping in the pumpkin - book. I loved it, maybe that's why I always wanted to make sure my stuffed animals were kept warm and cozy with my beach towel and pillows. This makes me miss home during the holiday seasons and inspires me to decorate my house. Love ya!

Muthering Heights said...

Your decorations look great!

It's nice to "meet" you! :)

Mimi Sue said...

You have such a wonderful place to live. So perfect for you and your activities. Your mantel is gorgeous. Perfect for your fun fallish home. Mimi

Danielle Barlow said...

wow, what lovely photos! Autumn is not quite fully here in England. I can smell it in the air, but we still have lush green growth. I think it will be another week before the fabulous colours start to show!

Cindy said...

It is so much fun putting all the fall stuff up around the house. I just wish I could leave it up a bit longer or that I could use orange with my Christmas stuff....wait maybe I could! You are blessed to live so close to those mountains. They are beautiful. I am crazy about that first quote on your fall post...I will use it on my fall decor post and link it back to you. Thanks for the kind words about my little Kanzashi flowers!

paige said...

i love fall decorations...the crisp breeze & the golden leaves...but mainly pumpkins, especially white ones!
hope to get some down south this year.
love your golden retriever!
xo

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

That was a beautiful post. I LOVE your mantle! I have a bench that my dad made for me out of half of a large pine. The more rustic the better. :)

Little Cottage said...

Thanks for stopping in at my blog!
Welcome to Bloglandia;- hopefully you will enjoy it as much as the rest us ;o)
- Sylvi

Karyn Bernard (French Charming) said...

Hi Julie,

Thanks for much for stopping by! Wowza 8 children and 19 grandchildren, how wonderful!

You're post is making me long for Fall, although it's officially here it's a miserable 104 degrees at 5:30 p.m.! I can't wait to feel the crisp cool air and curl up with a blanket in front of the fire.

All of your decorations are so lovely and the view of the mountains is stunning!

I'm adding you to my blog roll as well, I would love to stay in touch with you!

Hugs,
Karyn

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Julie,
I just love all your beautiful decor! You did a fantastic job decorating and I just love the look of that mantle. The scenery around you is gorgeous, I'm thinking Utah? It's so different from where I live, it's amazing how many beautiful places there are in this country of ours. Hugs, Cindy

Jenny S said...

Love your post!!! Such beauty!!!

debi said...

Hi Julie! Thanks for stopping by. It's so nice to meet someone else from beautiful Utah. I live in the Salt Lake area...we don't have all the beautiful red rocks that you enjoy, but we do have gorgeous mountains. Isn't Utah the best?!
You have a lovely family, and an amazing home.
I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Stop by anytime!
Hugs, Debi

Michele and Todd said...

I love your very fallish (autumn) post. You put so much into your blog. Thanks for always stopping by my blog.

Jana said...

Julie
Loved your latest posts! Your home looks so cozy! I am looking forward to your recipes!
Jana

Dolly said...

Ouuu I want to come and cuddle by the fire and enjoy a cup of tea and your beautiful scenery!

Love all your fall decor!

Happy Pink Saturday

Pink Cherry Hugz,
Dolly

Debby said...

Hello Julie, I just happened upon your blog by following a comment you made on Honeyville.
I enjoyed they entire blog. I live on the NY border to Canada in the Adirondack mountains. A very different world from yours, yet we share this big world.
I agree with you on the women issue and I believe it has to start with women having a value in themselves other than what is placed on us by hollywood. Therefore we as mothers and Grandmothers have to teach our daughters and grand daughters that we were wonderfully created by God for His plan not this worlds idea. And the value God puts on His children can not be measured.
God Bless you Julie