Monday, July 25, 2011

" WHEN WE KNOW WHO THEY WERE, WE WILL KNOW WHO WE ARE "....

HAPPY 24TH OF JULY UTAH

Today is a big celebration here in Utah, we are celebrating out pioneer ancestors who
came to Utah in 1847. This picture was taken July 1897 of a celebration of these first pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley, now know as Salt Lake City, Utah. My great great grandfather is on
the second row, about the 4th one in from the left, his beard is not as long as the others and it
looks like he is holding a hat, or something on his lap. His name is Charles A. Harper and I am
thankful for such a great man who with such courage, came so far for religious freedom. He
was a great leader and brought not only his family here to Utah but went back and brought
many other families too. Because of him and other relatives, I am so blessed now...thank you
dear pioneers!


My mom, Ella Mae Lemon Jeppson, with her first child Jared...a well feed little boy!

my Dad, Morris Leon Jeppson with his first child, Jared

My mom and dad on a trip into Salt lake one day (Ella Mae and Morris)

This is Hans Jacob Jeppson, father of Morris Leon, and my grandpa. He and his wife had 11 children, he had sandy red hair.

My Dad, Morris Leon Jeppson, he served a 3 year mission to Australia, came home and captured Ella right off the dance floor! They were such sweethearts, they had 7 children, were farmers. He had a magnificent base voice, was very easy going and kind...he loved Mom's spunkiness!

My Mom Ella Mae Lemon Jeppson, I picked her to be my Mother, it says that in my patriarchal blessing. She was a family genealogist all her life, a beautiful, gracious lady, and so much fun to be with, a feisty, fun, strong woman.

This is Dorothy Elizabeth Riggs Jeppson, my grandma, mother of Morris Leon


A little picture of my family at a Christmas..Orville with the gun and mitt, Martha on the horse, me sitting by Mom, John kneeling behind Orv, Alda and Jake in the back, Jared was away in the air force.

This is Julia Margaret Fraughton Peterson (I am named after her) she is Ella's grandmother, married to the handsome John Peterson

This is Catherin Mayer Lemon, Ella's great grandmother

This is Bengt Peterson, he is Ella's great, great grandfather

This is William McClure Lemon Jr. son of Catherine Mayer Lemon and (William McClure Lemon Sr.  the pioneer surveyor). William McClure Lemon Jr. was Ella's grandpa.

This is Johanna Johnson, wife of Bengt Peterson, Ella's great, great grandmother

This very handsome man is John Peterson, he was Ella Mae's great grandfather

Pioneers of 1847: Harriet Taylor Harper and Charles A. Harper. Charles came with Brigham Young and the first company of pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley, he was the wheelwright for the company. He had a carriage shop in Nauvoo and he sold everything he had and gave it for the great trip west. He was a Yale graduate, he became a member of the church in 1840. He was one of the great leaders of the church but said that he was most comfortable to be quiet about it. (this was verified in a church news article July 20Th 1986) He left a great history for us.

George Fraughton and his wife Mary Jane Simpson (Ella Mae Lemon Jeppson's great- great grandparents) They were pioneers~
These original pictures were given to me by my mother, I have copied them and distributed them through out the family, I hope you will treasure them and learn about these great people...your family.

It was no mistake that we were sent here in groups called families, giving us the greatest chance for joy through all eternity. When I look at you I see a person, who has coursing through their veins, the same blood as me. We are living humans who came from the same roots, we've got the same DNA and bone structure head to foot.
I'm so proud and grateful for the legacy that our family, who came before us to pave the way, left for us. They never denied the or betrayed Joseph Smith, in fact they gave everything they had to help with the pioneers great move to the West. They were humble, obedient, giving, and hard working, faithful...they left us a true, clear path to follow.
They heard the midnight mobs hounding, the gun shots, the fists pounding. they smelled the smoke of Nauvoo burning, tasted the tears of grief and pain, they heard the icy night wind screaming. They chipped a grave for the little son, gripped the trembling hand of Mother, then went on, living one day and then another. They rationed every root and berry, gritted their way across the prairie. Stormed the mountains steep and looming, saw the oxen straining, fuming. They tamed the great desert, brought the waters, raised up Zion's sons and daughters. Now we send our stripling missionaries over seas and prairies...see the millions now congregating! Oh thank you dear sweet ancestor pioneers.

I could fill several posts on my blog with much about our ancestors, but please know that what they did, they did for us. We need to remember them and love them and know that whether we know it or not, we carry within us their genes and if they could do hard things, know that we can too, because when we know who they were, we can know who we are.

Remember that when you are in Heaven again, you will ask someone in which time period they lived in and you might hear, " I was with Moses when he parted the red sea," or "I helped build the pyramids," or "I fought with Captain Moroni."
And as you are standing there in amazement, someone will turn to you and ask. "Which prophet's time did you live in?" And when you say "Gordan B. Hinckley," a hush will fall over every hall and every corridor in all of heaven, and all in attendance will bow at your presence. "You were held back six thousand years because you were the most talented, most obedient, most courageous, and most righteous. Are you still? Remember who you are." (Boyd K. Packer)

Yes, we fight Satan's last great battle, for the spirits of each of our children, holding hands with God every day...our victory will be Eternal. May we know that our ancestors helped us then and that they help us now. They are watching over us, praying for us, helping us, cheering for our success...that we may all kneel down "together" one day, when we are all reunited in our Heavenly Fathers presence. What a lot of hugging and kissing and tears of joy that will bring...we will know who they are and they will know us...we will FEEL the STRENGTH of FAMILY...because it is true...FAMILIES ARE FOREVER. (these are just bare minimum facts about some of my family, there are many more pictures and stories. I have handed all this information out to my family, I hope they will look it up and learn all their family)

WITH ALL MY LOVE

JULIE



23 comments:

Hayley said...

These pictures are so cool. I love genealogy! My mom's dad did tons of our families genealogy and I love looking at the old pictures and hearing all their stories. Thanks for this cool post!

The Kent Family in Kenai said...

You made me cry :) awesome post! I will have to ask my Mom where her book is I would love to learn more. I have dabbled a little in the family history library, very cool but very over whelming! I have no idea what I am doing.

Michael & Lindsey said...

Thanks for the post mom and teaching us about our family ancestry. I love that book you made for each of us with these pictures and stories. I love to look at Grandma and Grandpa's pictures and read their love letters to each other. It's important to know where you came from. Awesome!

Michele and Todd said...

Julie, you have some great pictures. I have really been fortunate to have a lot of pictures also. I especially love to see the pictures of your mother Ella Mae. She was beautiful and I am so happy to have a almost new little granddaughter named for her. That is so special for her and you also.

grandkrumps said...

I could look at old family photos for hours. I spent a couple of hours in a cemetery in Kirksville, Missouri last week, recording all the information (along with a small army of youth, all getting our necks SUNBURNED!!) from the headstones. This week I am spending Pioneer Day entering more of their names into a spreadsheet so that we can add the information to a Tombstone Index online someplace.

And all of Nauvoo is THRILLED over chance encounters with David Archuleta (spelling????) who was at Pageant last night and walked into a shop as my daughter walked out yesterday. My, oh my, he makes waves wherever he goes!

Thanks for sharing these photos.

bj said...

I'm so glad you have all this for your family. We, too, have a lot of fmily photos and history. Mr. Sweet's side has been compiled in a book...mine is mostly on computer.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to make....A WATERMELON PIE.:))

Liesl said...

I love those pictures..and the way you can trace your family so far back! It must be so good to be able to sit down and go through all those pictures of long dead family... Have a great weekend Julie!
Blessings
Liesl

laurie said...

what a wonderful heritage just beautiful,, your mum is beautiful and you look just like her.I enjoyed thispost so much,,

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Julie, this is a treasure for your children and grandchildren. You are going to have to have another blog book made. The old photographs are amazing... your family story is amazing... blessings to you and yours ~ tanna

Garden of Egan said...

That was such a great post!
I loved seeing the generations!
Our ancestors came over together with the first company and Brigham Young. Ours was Major Howard Egan.

Your ancestors and your posterity have got to be so proud of you and the great woman that you are!

Sue said...

What a great post Julie, and what a legacy you have been given. I truly am so blessed by reading this, Your love for family really shines forth! thank you for sharing.
I read some of your previous post, (as I have been offline) and was so blessed I must try the watermelon pie, because it looks so delicious and... we have plenty in the garden `smile~
And as always enjoy you sharing grandchildren photo memories.
Blessings,
Sue

Jessica Heights said...

How cool to have all of those photos, and knowledge of your family history!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hi Julie! It was so fun reading your family history and seeing if we are related! Love all the pictures too! Look how much fun you are having with grandbabes in post below. Aren't they the best! Happy Pioneer Day and thanks for the recipe!

Love ya,
Maryjane!

Val said...

This post touched my heart!! What a true blessing to have so much knowledge on your family history! Wonderful!

Isabelle Thornton said...

You are so inspiring! Thanks for this wonderful post! Happy Pioneer Day.
Hugs

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Love old photos and stories...

Barbara F. said...

Julie, this was a wonderful post, I am glad I was able to read it, I didn't see it when it was first sent. I think you look like your Mom! xo,

Tracy said...

LOVED this post!! The pictures are priceless!!

Deila said...

I love these photos! It is so fun to see the family similarities.

Red Couch Recipes said...

Julie love the quotes and all the fabulous family pictures. Those pioneer ancestors of ours were quite something -- so strong! I spoke in our ward on Sunday about Pioneer Sisters -- hard to do them justice in 15 minutes! Joni

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

Julie, what a beautiful post! I have learned so much :)
Maybe you could make this a once a month-er!
You have a beautiful family! I cannot believe how Sophia has grown!
Hope the house is showing often! I keep you and yours in my prayers..
xo, misha

Sue said...

Okay Julie, The Boyd K. Packer quote put tears in my eyes. Thanks for a beautiful post.

Gloria said...

Beautiful collection of photos. What a wonderful treasure...:)

God bless you,

xoxo...Gloria