Monday, October 5, 2009

FRIGHTFULLY FUN...enter if you dare~

I love it when Halloween rolls around...I still remember the thrill of being out trick-or-treating with my friends, waxing an occasional window(hee hee) running and screaming for our lives! The cold crisp October air...sometimes freezing because it was snowing, all kids should have such memories! We have had some wonderful times with our kids, and now with the grands...I just love Halloween!

Yes, come on in "deary"...we're having a bit of a problem with spiders, but they won't hurt you!

...Unless you run into this big boy!

~My three favorite witches~

I just love to get these little ladies out at Halloween time, they have the cutest faces ever!



I LOVE these witches...they are "good witches" every one! Their faces remind me of people I know. Now please don't take this wrong, but they remind me of my sweet mother-in-law. She is 96 years old..pure angel, with the sweetest face ever!

This little pumpkin is one of 6 on a leather string, they all are different, they dangle under my mantle

I should have bought this....I saw it at T.J.Maxx the other day, my loss..it is so cute!

This cute little trio of ghosts make me smile... Aren't they just bootiful?!

I've had this sweet witch for 28 years...can't believe she's been hanging around so long!

These pumpkins (there are 6 all connected) are fun, with small candles in them, they really glow at night

I love this little old witch with a mouse in her pocket and her big round nose!


A cute book to share with your loved ones....Once upon a time there was a little old lady who was not afraid of anything! But one autumn night, while walking in the woods, she heard...CLOMP..SHAKE..CLAP.

" I have an idea," said the little old lady...

I'm not afraid of you said the little old lady bravely.

This is a darling little book to share with children ages 3-7...I think it helps them not to be afraid of things they might look at as scary! "
It's a slendiferous Halloween story. A sure-fire winner gloriously noisy actions for storytelling and just shivery enough."(The Horn Book)
The author, Linda Williams and illustrator Megan Lloyd , have done a great job with this little book. Linda is the director of a child development center, working with young children everyday.
It's a fun book for reading or telling aloud...make sure you add the drama, for the fun of it!


I took this picture of the moon the other night as I was coming home over the mountain...it was only 8:30 in the evening..it kept playing peek-a-boo with me through the clouds. I thought it looked like a good Halloween moon!
~~~
I LOVE Halloween! Sometimes I hear adults complain about it but I must be a kid at heart because I really get into it. I'm usually dress up as a witch, I love to go to the schools and tell scary stories, or gather my grandchildren around tell them scary stories.
Maybe it's because we had 8 children and Halloween was a ton of fun for them, so we really did it up big each year. One year we had a spook alley in our garage and even our teenagers loved it. Now with our grandchildren around, I love to have a party with all kinds of Halloween treats, scary music, games , scary stories , I love to have the house all decorated too. They love it..I thought about not doing it this year but then yesterday when some of them were here, I asked them if they thought we should do it again...the answer was YES!!! ( as if to say,well grandma, what were you thinking!)

I hope you'll have fun with it this year, I think the world is getting a little too serious, children need to have fun and they need the most important people in their lives to have a little fun with them.

~HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO YOU ALL~

33 comments:

Joycee said...

Amen, Halloween is still magical fun for the kiddos! Your witches are cute, cute! Loved the book...
joy c. at grannymountain

Jenny S said...

Ha!! I too love Halloween! My son keeps asking when we are going to "dress up" the house! He will be so excited when he sees the boxes out tomorrow morning!!

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

Yes, have the party! Your an expert at it, so it should come easy.
Love that Halloween moon, it's as if a ghost is flying right though it.

Brenda said...

LOVE it all! Your Halloween looks FUN! I would love to come and visit!

Lorilee said...

Hi Julie,
I love halloween too! I have been too busy to put up any fall and Halloween decorations yet! I better get busy! That is on of my favorite books. I read it to my students with "props" (gloves, hat, plastic pumpkin, pants, boots, etc) Then I put the props in the library lab with the book. The students to retell the story!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Muthering Heights said...

It looks like you have quite the collection of decorations!

Mimi Sue said...

Your house is looking kind of spooky. In a good way. I love halloween too. It's especially fun with the grands around. Mimi

Mercy Otis/The Stone House said...

I so agree with you! Children NEED to be able to be children huh! My cousins have a girls night planned down in St Geroge three days during halloween and my mom wants me to go, but I firmly told her no, it's Halloween! How can I go away from home and leave my grandkids, not to mention my own 12 year old, (ok, and leave my own witch hat on the closet shelf...) on Halloween? I LOVE Halloween. Your moon was ver "Halloweenish" !!! Have a great one. Mercy ♥

Farm Chick Paula said...

Oh, Miss Julie- I LOVE your decorations!! I'm a kid at heart, too- I love Halloween.
And you know what I love the best? "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" Next to the Charlie Brown Christmas, that's my favorite holiday cartoon!

tara said...

Those witches are adorable!! I love them, I think out of the whole Halloween decor, witches are my favorite!! great post...gorgeous mooon!

Junebug Furniture and Design said...

Hi! Found you thru Happy Endings!! Loved looking at your Halloween........So much FUN! I'm picking up "The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything" for one of our 5 grandkids.I'll be back to visit. Blessings, Glad/Junebug

Shelia said...

Hi Julie! Oh, I remember the fun nights of trick or treating when I was a child. It's a shame children can't enjoy it like that any more. I like all of your 'sweet' Halloweeness! I'm not into the scary things at all. Your little witches and jackolanterns are precious!
Thank you so much for your sweet words about my blog. I really do appreciate it and have signed up to be one of your followers.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Connie from Big Bear Lake California said...

Luv all of your Halloween Decor. Great job!! We do not get trick or treaters up in the mountains. But, the Village which is in Big Bear Lake has Halloween in the Village. Just might have to go!! Hugs, Connie

Barn Mom said...

Ah...my friend...your blog is so fun and inviting! You are so talented and creative...thanks for sharing!

Dolly said...

Awwww you have collected some really cute halloween treasures!
I am itching to get my halloween treats out and decorate but first I have to finish painting!

Thanks for sharing.....
Hugz,
Dolly

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Love all your fun Halloween things! Those witches look so cute!

Manuela

bridget {bake at 350} said...

I ♥ Halloween, too! :)

koralee said...

Wow...your home would be lovely to come to on Halloween night! I really do not have anything Halloweenish but a few big pumpkin containers I stick the treats into and all the pumpkins we carve and light up! We all do one...6 all together! Life is too short to not have a wee little fun on Halloween night!
Thank you so so much for all your well wishes and encouragement you give me...what would I do without you?

grandkrumps said...

Okay! You have inspired me. Tomorrow I get out the decorations and spiff this place up for the upcoming holiday. Never mind that someone I know here says he HATES Halloween. There can be a lot of fun connected with it, even if it started out as a pagan celebration. Much love to you! G

debi said...

Waxing windows? You little stinker! hehe!

Your Halloween decorations are so cute...especially those adorable witches!!

Halloween has always been one of my faves and until a couple of years ago, I always dressed up. But, my kids are all grown and I don't have any grands yet, so it just doesn't seem as fun. So I've been enjoying everyone elses decorations.

Love your pic of the moon...so wonderfully haunting!
Have a wonderful week.
Hugs, Debi

Sandy said...

I just found your blog. I really enjoyed it. That looks like an amazing place to live. I am in awe. Wow, what a view. Do you have any neighbors. How did you get electricity way out there? Well, I guess I will explore more of your blog, the answers might be in it somewhere. =) Thanks for sharing!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Julie,
I love those old witches and their charming faces! You have all decked out for HALLOWEEN so grand! I bet your Grandkids do love it! I can't believe you have 8 kids! I am the oldest of 8 kids myself! Hugs, Cindy

"Blossom" said...

I love all your fall! such cute ghost. My grandkids would just have a fit over all your pumpkins and witches. I still have a delima over the opposit walls across from the entry; they are half walls with large pillars and I'm afraid it would be to much to add just the frame molding. I just can't decide?

Lissa said...

I really like the purple spider. Pottery Barn has some black, glittery spiders I want to buy when they go on sale.

Susan S. said...

Hi there...I just popped in from Sheila's NOTE SONG blog. Love your Halloween decorations and you sure have a lot! The "sweet" witches are some of my favorite...what nice, sweet faces...I like sweet Halloween decorations instead of ghoulish. Too funny that you took a pic at TJMaxx...that sounds like something I would do! Happy Fall Ya'll from Houston!

Beth at Aunties said...

I so agree! Halloween is a great time of the year for family FUN. We cherish every time we can get the troups together.
I love that you post such fun stories I can use with our little ones. Your decor and even the ones you should of bought are adorable. We go more for the fun and cute. Your mother in law must be a beautiful lady because the witches do have cute faces.
We just got home this evening from Colorado and saw so much red rock... it made me think of your paradise.
We are going to Idaho to spend the weekend playing with 9 of our grandchildren. A pumpkin patch and maze are planned for Saturday after a with a baptism and then Sunday we are blessing number 11. I love these Fall week ends!
Oh and I tried taking pictures I am sure of the same moon playing peek a boo with the clouds. But the city lights messed up the Halloweenish feel:)
~♥

The Kent Family in Kenai said...

27 comments! Holy cow auntie you have a fan club :) Cute post, I love your Halloween decor and the reminder to be a kid at heart and have fun!! Love ya xoxo

Marie said...

Oh how I love your Halloween Decorations! What fun Julie! I sure wish that we could get lovely things like that over here. I would get so much pleasure out of decorating! I have enjoyed my visit with you and will be back!!
PS that picture of the moon is brilliant!! Well done!

Marie said...

PPS by the way, it's really easy to roll that cake up! It takes on the shape of the roll when you roll it up in the towel! Leave it until completely cooled and then unroll the towel, spread the filling on and it rolls back up quite easily!

Brenda said...

I love those wicked witches! Cute as can be! I love Halloween too. We never get trick or treaters in our neighborhood though. That shot of the moon is gorgeous. I've never been able to capture one like that!
Brenda

susan said...

My first visit here! How wonderful that you give your time to the schools!! I think the witches are pretty cute--not ugly at all :)

Eggs In My Pocket / Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I love Halloween also, and I am a Christian. I really miss the fun we used to have on Halloween.....my children are all grown now. You had 8 children? How wonderful! I just love your decorations....gets me in the mood for the halloween fun! blessings,Kathleen

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

I saw the SAME moon...doing the same thing as the clouds rolled over it the other night. I ran inside to get my camera and it had no charge left! Great pic, exactly what I saw and I thought the same thing --- perfect Halloween moon! Love this time of year. :)