Thursday, December 3, 2009

" CHRISTMAS SPIRIT "....and how to find it


"This Christmas"

This Christmas..mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend.
Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust.

Write a letter. Give a soft answer.
Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed.
Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge.

Forgive an enemy. Apologize.
Try to understand. Examine your demands on others.
Think first of someone else. Be kind.
Be gentle. Laugh a little more.

Express your gratitude.
Welcome a stranger.
Gladden the heart of a child.

Take pleasure in the beauty and
the wonder of the earth.

Speak your love...and then,
Speak it again.

(Howard W. Hunter)



I am the Christmas Spirit.

I enter the home of poverty, causing pale-faced children to open their eyes wide in pleased wonder.

I cause the miser's clutched hand to relax and thus paint a bright spot on his soul.
I cause the aged to renew their youth and to laugh in the glad old way.

I keep romance alive in the heart of childhood and brighten sleep with dreams woven of magic.
I cause eager feet to climb dark stairways with filled baskets, leaving behind them hearts amazed at the goodness of the world.

I cause the prodigal to pause a moment on his wild, wasteful way and send to anxious love some little token that releases glad tears-tears which wash away the hard lines of sorrow.

I enter dark prison cells, reminding scarred manhood of what might have been, and pointing forward to good days yet to come.

I come softly into the still, white home of pain; and lips that are too weak to speak just tremble in silent, eloquent gratitude.

In a thousand ways I cause the weary world to look up into the face of God, and for a little moment forget the things that are small and wretched.
I am the Christmas Spirit.

Go gladden the lonely, the dreary; Go comfort the weeping, the weary;
Go scatter kind deeds on your way--Oh, make the world brighter today!

Forget yourself, and give from your heart;
" For when ye have done unto the least of these my brethren,
Ye have done it unto me. "

Getting into the real Spirit of Christmas....how about you? It is all about love and others....

Let my dolls be made of rags,
Fireman hats of paper bags.
Just write "Love" on the Christmas tags;
That's what I want for Christmas.
-Irving Caesar-

Sending out "all my love"...TO...all of you,
hoping you will find the Christmas spirit
and keep it in your heart now... and always!!!

22 comments:

Connie said...

Julie,
Beautiful thoughts about Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

There are some here I need to work on...right now!
thanks Julie so much!

koralee said...

So so lovely today...just what I needed..to slow down and be reminded or these simple yet so meaningful words. What Christmas is really about! xoxoxo

Janean said...

wonderful words of wisdom to live by.

Joycee said...

I'm working on a post for this most common saying too. Even my Mother In Law who's a Christian says it every year, it just gets me when I hear it. Great post!

Beth at Aunties said...

Just beautiful once again. Julie you ahve a wonderful gift and I am glad you are sharing with all of us:)
I love this time of year when we really STOP and remember and FEEL the reason we are celebrating. I enjoyed your message!
Enjoy a wonderful weekend!
~♥

Mercy Otis/The Stone House said...

Oh Julie....I'll tell you like I told beth, I have been reading and meaning to come back and leave comments.......I'm so behind!
I enjoyed your last post, seeing your family and yes, I have to agree with you, newly bathed babies smell heavenly!
I don't know Cathy from Ridin on the Range, I'm pretty sure I first saw her blog from your side bar.
I liked her header right off the bat, cuz it looks like pictures I have of when my older kids were young!
Enjoy your day.
Mercy

The Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful thoughs and such a great reminder!
Love it.

Mimi Sue said...

Beautiful thoughts beautiful post. Trying to focus on what's important! Mimi

Vicki said...

Hello, dear Julie,
Thank you for this beautiful post and the reminder of what Christmas is really all about! Sweet blessings to you, my sweet friend! Vicki

Marie said...

Beautiful post Julie, as always. Thanks so much for all that you share with us. XXOO

Darlene said...

Glad I read your side bar before I asked the zillionth question, lol.

Came by way of Suzanne's. I love your site and this post is beautiful.

KathyB. said...

Just beautiful and really, summed up...think of others before yourself, love your neighbor as you do yourself. Kind of contradicts the message we get from T.V. and the world in general. But really, if we all did this there would not be the discord and warfare so common today.

becky said...

This is a beautiful post.So good to here these words this early morning.Its very inspiring to know there are others out there that feel as I do.In such a crazy busy busy life we all have we need to take time for ourselves and always look to HIM, our saviour.

God Bless and have a peaceful weekend! Becky~~

Shelia said...

Morning, Julie! This is so beautiful. have a great weekend.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Muthering Heights said...

Another beautiful, inspiring post!!!

marĂ­a cecilia said...

Amen...

Brenda said...

A Beuatiful post! Thank you! I always love to visit your blog. I leave feeling inspired and wanting to do better.

Have a joyful weekend!
Love, Brenda

"Blossom" said...

I am up and walking but still not standing up straight. I started the steriod pills again yesterday.
We'll see how the next 24 hours go.
Thank you for stopping by.
Happy Holidays.

PamperingBeki said...

That was beautiful, Julie.

GWENDOLYN said...

This is so beautiful! Last night I watched scrooge with hubby, at the end I found myself crying unexpectantly. The miser had learned to love. so wonderful... I do believe they were tears of joy. Blessings to you this Christmas season.
Hugs!
Gwen

Farm Chick Paula said...

Oh, this post is such a beautiful reminder, Julie... and I love the last poem the best- "just write love in the Christmas tags"- that is so beautiful.
Love to you too, Sweetie.