Thursday, December 17, 2009

FOOD...for the soul and the body!

CAN WE SEE...THE CHRIST IN CHRISTMAS?

Not being able to see the sacred either with your eyes or with the heart has been fault of the human condition since the beginning. Sometimes the most precious and sacred things are right in front of us, in plain sight, but we cannot or will not see them.
This may be especially true during the season of Christmas. All of these spectacular displays and decorations that compete for our attention can be beautiful and uplifting, but if it's all we see, then we're missing something thats in plain sight.
Sometimes, despite our best intentions, commitments, and the stress of our many tasks that we fail to see with our hearts, that which is essential and most sacred.

Even many who lived during the time of the Savior's mortal ministry could not see Him, though He walked among them in plain sight. Jesus was born in a stable surrounded by lowly animals. He did not go though the pattern of worldly education. The sophisticated and the proud, those who placed their trust in worldly learning, could not see Him.
Jesus was not wealthy, nor did He hild a political office. The wealthy and the influential, those who were caught up in their busy affairs of commerce and government, could not see Him.
The Scribes and Pharisees were so steeped in their own traditions and so blinded by their own narrow interpretation of scriptures that they could not see Jesus, the humble man who walked among them. The self-righteous and unteachable, those whose hearts were closed to the Spirit, could not see Him.
So who saw Him? Humble fishermen and laborers saw Him. The ailing, the distraught saw Him, and recognized Him as the Salvation of Israel. But there were those among the rich and powerful who were teachable and therefore could see the Christ.
When we read about people who could not see the Savior for who He was, we marvel at their blindness. But, do WE also let distractions obstruct our view of the Savior~during this Christmas season and throughout the year?
Some are external distractions...the gifts we worry about, the decorations, or the clamorous advertising...but often it is what in inside us that blinds us fron seeing the Christ. Some may feel a certain level of intellectual aloofness that distances them fron Christ...Some are caught up in the details of running their lives that they don't make time for much else...Some, like the Pharisees, seek for the Christ, but their hearts are set upon their own theories, spiritual hobbies and opinions that fail to recognize Him...
This is a season of rehoicing. A season of celebration. A wonderful time when we acknowledge that our Almighty God sent His Only begotten Son...Jesus Christ, to redeem the world...to redeem each of us.
(from a talk by Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf)
~~~~~~~~


Several have asked for this cake recipe from my last post, so here it is...I hope it will be a fun gift from you to your neighbors too. I have 6 Bundt pans so I can really get them going...I usually make atleast 20 of these and they go pretty fast.



" CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CAKE"

1 Chocolate Cake Mix
4 Eggs
1/2 Cup Oil
1 Cup Water
1 tsp. Peppermint extract
1 Small package instant Chocolate Pudding
Mix all this for 4 minutes. Pour into a Pam
sprayed Bundt pan.
Bake at 350'~45 minutes
Cool 15 min. in pan...set plate over cake
and let it fall out and onto the plate.

While slightly warm...frost with;

1 Cup Powdered Sugar
2 T. soft butter
1 T. Lemon juice
(you can use the peppermint extract instead
but it's a little too much to me...I like the lemon.)
Decorate with crushed candy canes
or sprinkles

(If you want to spend even less..buy the 98 cent cake mixes
and just prepare and bake them as it says on the box... adding
the 1 tsp. of peppermint extract)
Along with the clear wrap and a ribbon and a cheap plate...
it makes a lovely gift for not a lot of money!
~~~~~~~~~




Christmas is nearly here...I hope your life is at the point where it feels "uncluttered"...and that now you can sit back and take it all in with a joyous heart. Remember to "look for the Savior" with all of your heart...then you will have really found Christmas...Love and hugs to all of you!

27 comments:

The Garden of Egan said...

Thanks for the beautiful reminder! I love the words.
Thanks for sharing the peppermint cake, probably won't happen today, but maybe the weekend!
Hope you are ready for Christmas and can take time to enjoy it all!
HUGS

Valerie said...

Thanks for posting the recipe for the peppermint cake. I was gonna ask, but hadn't gotten to it yet. :) I think I will make this for our family Christmas party.
I love reading your beautiful thoughts about Christmas. It gives me a little "ahhh" time to relax and stop and think about what Christmas really means.

Cowboy mom said...

You amaze me!!!!! Now don't take this wrong....It's not necessarily your accomplishments. It's the wonderful effort. You are, to me, A great example of positive joy and effort. I just Love you. Have a merry Christmas(even though I know you will)

XXXOOO

Farm Chick Paula said...

What a wonderful reminder, Julie! Very beautiful words... and thanks for posting your recipe- I might make this for our family get-together... I'm sure it would be a hit!

becky said...

Lovely reminder Of Christ being the center of Christmas.Im hoping we all could remember this more often.I find it truly an inspiring Christmas when I leave Christmas Eve mass.I feel so good and know what the reason for the season really is.

Oh Oh that cake recipe, thanks so much for that.Actually I never heard of peppermint extract.I guess we have it here near the other things such as spices etc.

Merry christmas or as we say in greek Kala Christougenia!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Beautiful post Julie and thanks for that recipe. I'll have to try it someday.

Oh and your comment earlier gave me extreme JOY! You said even with my smooshed up face I was still beautiful. Well I needed to hear that...thank you:)

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with all your loved ones.

Tracy said...

Thanks for the Great reminder of the the real meaning of Christmas...CHRIST!!

Thanks too, for sharing your recipe!

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

This is all what I love about you...so glad to have found you in this big blogworld...Merry CHRISTmas to you and your family.

Ji said...

it is Christmas in your place here, I am glad to bump myself into this amazing happy location. Great blog, great spirit!


http://www.jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com
welcome!

Lorilee said...

Hello Julie,
Beautifully said! It IS so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle. That cake sounds delish!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Anita said...

Beautiful words and truly spoken...it is so hard to get caught up, not just in the season but in living everyday and forget why we are all here and enjoying the blessing we have.
That cake looks yummy and easy...two of my favorite things.

Jenglamgirl said...

Hello Julie~

I am Jennie Larsen, and I am glad I found your touching, heartfelt blog. Loved your message.. and you are so right and true. Your cake looks heavenly.. I may have to try it this week with fam. visiting. Love the pictures of our Savior you have on your blog. YOUR HOME... WOW' do you live in Southern UT.? perhaps, Cedar City?, or St. George? some of those Mtns. look RED???? HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND. Come visit me sometime... Larsenloves.blogspot.com

Muthering Heights said...

So, so true.

And another great recipe!! :)

Vicki said...

Hi, Julie,
Wonderful post!! You have said it all so perfectly there is not a thing I can add. Thank you for sharing with me and also thank you for the delicious recipe! Blessings and love to you! Vicki

Brenda said...

Thank you for the recipe! I'm going to try it! It is a wonderful gift for a neighbor or anyone!
Blessings to you! Stay warm!
Thanks for your sweetness and friendship!
Have a great weekend!
Love, Brenda

Mimi Sue said...

I like to get everything done early in December. (All the distractions) And then the week before Christmas, just relax, be still, enjoy, listen. Aaahhhh. So peaceful. Beautiful post Julie. Mimi

maría cecilia said...

Dear Julie, I wish you and your family a very happy christmas, and may next year brings much joy and blessings to you all.
One of the best things that happened to me since I started blogging this year was meeting you, an exceptional and wonderful woman who´s wise words have helped me and inspire me so much, as well as your love and care for the family. Thank you very much my dear friend.
Muchos cariños
Maria Cecilia

Beth at Aunties said...

Julie,
Once again I feel the peace and love coming to your blog. I adore Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf and his insights! Thanks for sharing his beautiful message and your recipe. I make a lot of bundt cakes because they are so simple and fast when you need to take something to someone, but only enjoy one pan!
We have had too many distractions this year, but finally feel we are catching up.:)
Enjoy a blessed Christmas!
~♥

The Gough Inn said...

Merry Christmas -- yummy cake indeed - wonderful message! You do those so well and have become a dear friend -- God bless you --

Connie said...

Beautiful thoughts from Pres. Uchtdorf! Thanks for posting it.
Your recipe is divine! Thanks for sharing it.

Eggs In My Pocket / Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Love, love this beautiful post! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.....I wont be as industrious as you in baking for the neighbors, but will give it a try! blessings,Kathleen

Duchess of Tea said...

My darling I wish you and yours all the joy, love, hope, blessings, peace, laughter, miracles, good health and boundless wealth during this holiday season and always.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

So true and thanks . Merry christmas to you and yours.

Anne Fannie said...

Julie, what an awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs, Ann

Angelena said...

Beautiful message - and wonderful recipe. We are snowed in today with 25+ inches of snow and still snowing. Today is a great day to make memories with our children. I posted some pictures of the snow if you would like to visit and look at them.

Country Girl said...

Oh, thank you what a beautiful post. Especially with the addition of the recipe!

**Amy** said...

Oh my goodness! You know I love peppermint and chocolate. I am now going to HAVE to give this a try. Help...my baking list is growing out of control! ;) Thanks for sharing. If I do make one, I will post it and link back to you if you don't mind of course!