Tuesday, December 8, 2009

" Goodness... and a Goodie "

This beautiful painting is done by Greg Olsen and the poem was written by him too...

~~~" The Spirit of Christmas "~~~

By the magical light of a small Christmas candle a little old man tries to carefully handle
The small porcelain manger which serves as a bed for the wee baby Jesus to lay down his head.

In wonder he brings the manger up to his view, smiles at the baby and whispers, "I love you!"
I love you for bringing this season of joy, I love you for growing to a man from a boy;

For being our light and leading the way, for being the spirit which makes Christmas day!

You've been my mentor, my model, my hero and guide, please continue to help me and stay by my side.
I've tried to follow your teachings and give as you gave, reminding all to be kind and that it's wise to behave.
Help me to serve others and bring then your light, especially the children, please bless them tonight!
Some have so very little, scarce food for their table, you know how it feels-you were born in a stable!
Bless all their mothers and fathers with a knowledge that's sure, the best gifts they can give is their love.. strong and pure.
Thats the spirit of Christmas when alls said and done, God's gift of love, that came as his son!

Then back to his mother the child is returned the nativity glows as the candle is burned.
In a wink the little old man slips quietly away...
Some say he goes up the chimney and climbs in a sleigh.
Whatever the case, His mission is clear..
Give unto others, bringing love and good cheer.
He flies into the night and bids us adieu-
doing for others what Jesus would do.
~~~~~~


" All I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned From Santa Claus "

*Believe in Magic*

*People love you when you're jolly*

*Everybody loves surprises*

*The more you give, the more you get*

*You can never have too many toys*

*There is a little child in each of us*

*If you're going to pout, you better watch out*

*A few extra pounds keep you warm in the winter*

*Wear red and get noticed*

*It's a Wonderful Life*
~~~~~


I love to make these at Christmas time, they make a delish gift to give to friends and neighbors too...bet you can't eat just one!
~~~~~

"Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake"

Place 24 Vanilla Wafers flat side down in paper cup cake liners in 2 muffin pans.

Beat together til smooth;
2 packages (8oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
1 Cup (8 oz.) Sour Cream
1 1/4 Cup Sugar

Add;
1/2 Cup Baking Cocoa
3 Eggs
1/2 to 1 tsp. Almond extract ( or)
1 tsp Vanilla

Fill muffin lined cups 3/4 full

Bake at 325* for 20-25 minutes
Cool on rack-then refrigerate to cool

Top with a scoop of Whipped cream (or Cool Whip)
And a scoop of Cherry Pie filling (or a maraschino cherry)
Serve or put on a cute plate to give!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so enjoying this Christmas season with all it's many joys...I hope you are too.
This year, I'm going to try my best to keep all the good going right through the next year too!
Why leave it all behind us, only to try to find it next December...I'm holding on to all this love and joy! I think if I keep my heart filled with love for others and give and serve, it can remain with me, all year round!


I hope you have enjoyed your visit here today...Have a wonderful Christmas season my dear friends!

31 comments:

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

Love Love Love your whole post...I was trying to pick a favorite and couldn't. Tender Greg Olson, funny Christmas sayings and yummy cheesecake gifts.
Your definitly feeling Christmas. Did you get snow?

Beth at Aunties said...

Julie, as usual you uplifted and fed our spirits with much love. I know if I made your delicious treats I couldn't just eat one! They sound so yummy...
I too love Greg Olson, his many talents and insights bless our lives. I truly loved your beautiful post.
We are experiencing a 2 day snow storm and I bet you are getting your share also. Thanks for spreading Christmas cheer and lets do keep it in our hearts all year long! ~♥

Cindy-Stitches-N-Stuff said...

Oh, I most certainly did enjoy my visit. Greg Olsen is my favorite artist. The poem was so awesome and the cheese cake thing, I just have to make that.

You've lightened my day dear friend.

cindy@stitches

The Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful thoughts! I love the way you write it is always very thought-provoking.
Thanks for sharing a great looking recipe. I'll be so glad to have the holidays over so my clothes will quit shrinking.
HUGS!
Tauna

becky said...

Very beautiful post.I so much enjoyed it.As far as the cheesecake my mother made those before, I havent tried them.I think I will jmust jot that recipe down.

Thanks so much for the lovely post today.Merry Christmas!

becky said...

lol, that word was just.Im typing fast with just the computer light,LOL.

Farmgirl Paints said...

Wonderful Christmas post Julie...so festive. Love that picture of santa with the sleeping girl:)

Anita said...

Beautiful sentiments. The cheescakes look delicious and I am going to have to give them a try.

Jules said...

That first painting is absolutely beautiful. I love it!

The cheesecakes look delicious too. They seem pretty easy to make, and they would be great to take to a party.

Connie said...

Love Greg Olsen's paintings and his poem was wonderful. Yum!!! to the chocolate cherry cheese cake!
Enjoy this season!

Shelia said...

What a beautiful painting and so is the poem! Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

koralee said...

I love visiting you...I am really really in the Christmas mood now! That poem is so lovely. xoxxoox

Muthering Heights said...

Your posts are so lovely...and your recipes sound DELICIOUS!!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Julie,
Very Special post! You are such a neat lady, love the poem and the recipe, and the lovely painting too! Hugs, Cindy

Mimi Sue said...

Love Greg Olsen and all of his art. Great poem. Didn't know he is a poet too. He is very talented. I do love cheesecake. Your recipe sounds delish. Mimi

debi said...

What a beautiful post, Julie! Your blog is always so fun and very inspirational.
And you always have wonderful recipes to share. I'm really getting in the mood to do some Christmas baking. Hmmm, maybe today!

KathyB. said...

Oh Julie, lovely post with dessert at the end! I think your dessert looks to be a good one for gifts, as you mentioned.

The pictures of Santa Claus are ones I love....

KathyB. said...

Julie, I finally have time to read all that i was missing out on the last 2 weeks, I enjoyed seeing your blog post about Thanksgiving with all your beautiful family! What a house-full of blessings for you . Those Grandkids look very happy, as do you!

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

That top painting is beautiful and I love cheesecake! Those little ones are so cute and I'm sure delish!

Manuela

happeningswithLana said...

I love the painting by Greg Olsen.
And the poem. Cheesecake is always good.

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

What a wonderful post. I love the picture of Santa gently handling the nativity. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Marcia

GWENDOLYN said...

Julie,
That was a wonderful poem! I have never heard it til now. Blessings today dear friend.
Gwen

Brenda said...

I LOVE Greg Olson! I didn't know he was also a poet...LOVED it too! What a wonderful Christmas message...SO SWEET! AND I know I would LOVE that chocolate cheesecake...but I better NOT!

tara said...

Thsoe little cheesecake dessert look amazingly good! I am getting into the spirit of christmas too, slowly but surely...trying to go shopping during lunch doesn't help though..people are crazy!! hehe! Anyway, I like your idea about keeping the good in our hearts all year long, I am going to try that too...sounds like a perfect plan!

Vicki said...

Hi, Julie,
Such a sweet and beautiful post!! Thank you for sharing that wonderful poem and painting and all the great Christmas season thoughts. I, too, would like to see the Christmas spirit carried year around. Much love to you, sweet friend! Vicki

Sandy said...

:)

Nicole said...

Just found your blog off of Mimi Sue's. Your home is beautiful. I saw that you work in the Manti Temple. I LOVE the Manti Temple. My husband is actually from Ephraim, we met at Snow. My BIL is the president there now. I wish I new a way to get tickets to the Tabernacle Choir this year, I'm sure it will be so wonderful! Your blog is darling!

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

You always share the BEST recipes ~ thanks! I tried to comment a day or so ago (not sure the comment saved) that I made your stuffing for Thanksgiving and it was DELICIOUS!
I agree, let's keep that "Christmas' feeling going all year long. :)

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

These look so yummy!!! My man would just eat every single one if I made them too... I know it!

Cindy said...

Love the poem! It really makes me happy when people recognize that Christmas isn't about Santa but the birth of Jesus Christ! Love the recipe and your new picture with that little sweetie too! You were so cute to be honest about my powder room project. The example did seem a bit scary if you didn't know what my plan was!

maría cecilia said...

Hi dear Julie, you are a very organized woman, my god, you have almost everything ready for christmas... here I like to take out all my christmas items just 2 weeks before the 24th and for this year I just want to have less decor and lots of presents for my grand. Your decor is very sweet my friend!!
I saw Andrea Boccelli´s cd in your other posts, I will look for it to hear his wonderful voice.
Muchos cariños
María Cecilia