Tuesday, March 16, 2010

POEMS...THOUGHTS....AND SOMETHING GOOD~

" LIGHTEN UP "
(sung to the tune of..if you're happy and you know it!)

When life's got you overrun,
then lighten up.
Think of all the good you've done
and lighten up.
If your job is just half done and
Your battle's just half won,
Pat yourself on half your back
and lighten up.

If you're feeling loaded down
then lighten up.
Shrug your shoulders, sing a song,
and lighten up.
With a friend or two beside you
And the Savior's love to guide you-
Lighten up!
(Chieko Okazaki)




~Eight Basic Facts About Memory~

The fact that people don't stop you when you ask them to stop you
if you've told them this story...
Doesn't mean that you haven't told it before.

The fact that you're only buying a couple of items at the store
Doesn't mean that you don't need to bring a list to the store.

The fact that you've put the passports in a safe place that
they couldn't possibly get lost
Doesn't mean that you actually, currently know where they are.

The fact that you've parked your car carefully
Doesn't mean, when the movie is over, that you will
still recall where you parked the car.

The fact that you rushed upstairs because there was something you
desperately needed in your closet
Doesn't mean, once you get there, you'll recollect why you came.

The fact that you've known a person for thirty-five years
Doesn't mean, when you go to introduce him, that you can
count remembering his name.

The fact that you said good-bye and walked out the door
Doesn't mean that you won't be back immediately in order to get
all the things you left behind.

And the fact that...
And the fact that...
And the fact that, the fact that, the fact that...

I guess it's slipped my mind.


" THE PLEASURE OF AN ORDINARY LIFE "

I've had my share of necessary losses,
Of dreams I know no longer can come true.
I'm done now with the whys and the becauses.
It's time to make things good, not just make do.
It's time to stop complaining and pursue
The pleasures of an ordinary life.

I used to rail against my compromises.
I yearned for the wild music, the swift race.
But happiness arrived in new disguises:
Sun dancing in a safe and quiet place.
The pleasures of an ordinary life.

I'll have no trumpets, triumphs, trails of glory.
It seems the woman I've turned out to be
Is not the heroine of some grand story.
But I have learned to find the poetry
In what my hands can touch, my eyes can see.
The pleasures of an ordinary life.

Young fantasies of magic and of mystery
Are over. But they really can't compete
With all we've built together: A long history.
Connections that help render us complete.
Ties that hold and heal us. And the sweet,
Sweet pleasures of an ordinary life.

(These last two poems are taken from a little book I like,
"Forever Fifty and Other Negotiations" by Judith Viorst)




~NOW FOR SOMETHING LIGHT AND YUMMY~


~CHICKEN CABBAGE SALAD~

1 head of shredded cabbage, (or 1 large bag)
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
3 T. toasted almonds
1 T. sesame seeds
1 pkg. Chicken flavored Ramen noodles, crushed
2 green onions, diced
a little salt & pepper to taste,
Mix together...

Dressing:
1 seasoning packet from the Ramen noodles
2 T. sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 T. white vinegar
Mix up, add to cabbage mixture
right before serving.


I hope you enjoyed your visit here today my sweet friends,
and that you have enjoyed the thoughts...
I hope you'll enjoy the salad too...
Have a great week!

36 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

this post was like a whole issue in a good magazine, and I sang the song out loud to my husband--he smiled! Love the garden print.

Diana said...

The recipe sounds great!

Jenglamgirl said...

I always enjoy my stop at your blog!!!! Love the "Oridnary Life" poem! Your salad looks so yummy, I may need to make that at the baby shower I am throwing in April. Hugs, luvs, JENN

Tracy said...

Your posts are always so uplifting!! It's always a fun stop!!

I can so relate to the basic facts about memory!! Scary!! :-(

Have a good one!!...

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Julie as always I enjoyed everything about my visit with you today. What a blessing to read these poems and the salad looks good too.
Your a sweetie
Maggie

Beth at Aunties said...

I just re-read favorite passages of Lighten Up! I enjoy all of her books and Chieko often visits our son's ward in VA.
The memory poem is almost too true to be funny... lately! :D
Love your yummy recipe and I hope all is well in your neck of our state!

Muthering Heights said...

I always enjoy my visits here!!! :)

Le Chateau des fleurs said...

Love the poems. The first made me laugh!!!
Yummy recipe and easy.
Love.
Frenchy

Julie said...

Wonderful thoughts, Julie! And I love that chicken salad recipe--looks wonderful!

Hope you're having a great night!

koralee said...

Ha ha you have me laughting at.... Its a fact.....I think I have done every last one of those. Glad to know I am not losing my mind. I love visiting you! xoxo

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Wow, this post is packed. I listened to a meditation on Friday and she said, "Let it go, let it go, let it go." It was on stress. She should have head the song, "Lighten up!"

Vickie said...

Oh Julie - I love that poem of Ordinary Life! That is so ME! I guess it's so most all of us.

I had that recipe at a church fellowship that I went to recently. I'm glad to know where to get that recipe when I get ready to make it! Thank you!

becky said...

I love the last poem and pic.The sald looks yummy.I will just jot that down.Have a great Tuesday my friend!

Melinda Cornish said...

That chicken salad looks so good!!! yummmy...
I love the "fact that" poem...I live it, it is my life...really!
I always appreciate your visits to my blog and look forward to my visits to yours.....You always have something great to look at and read!

KathyB. said...

That chicken / cabbage salad is a favorite of mine...and I don't remember where i got the recipe ( ha ha). Those little nuggets about memory are coming closer to home than I like to think. So far though, i seem to remember everything, unless I've totally forgotten about it! In that case it must not be so important.

Betsy said...

Well, I'm not over 50 yet and those things STILL apply to me! LOL! The Mister would love that cabbage salad...I'm writing it down!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I love the poem and the pics Julie! But now, I am worried about my memory and what blogs I've actually visited this morning! LOL!
Have a great day my friend,
Cindy

Sharon said...

I can sure relate to the memory facts.
I enjoyed reading your poems and now I have the song on my mind.
Thanks for sharing.

Kerin said...

Good Morning Julie!
Love reading the poems that you posted! It sure gives me something to think about.
The recipe looks yummy too. I wonder if I could sneak the cabbage past my honey bunch...maybe.
Hope the sun is beaming through your windows today :)

paperbird said...

julie there is always such beauty here and good food!!!! looks so yummy, i love cabbage.

Teresa said...

Oh Sweet Julie!
There are just so many things I adore about you!
First of all...
I love it that you take the time to write out and share these sweet poems...so like my mom!
My mother is known for sharing quotes and poems...and all in her sweet handwriting on all of the cards that she has sent us over the years. Such a lost sentiment...but here you are with your sweet self taking the time to share such precious thoughts!
And...I LOVE the cabbage salad! Never thought about putting cabbage with chicken in a salad! I'm popping back over to jot this down!
And I adore...
If your happy and you know it...
LIGHTEN UP!!!!!! ;o) Yeah! xxoox

Bob & Marilee Neff said...

Thanks for your beautiful blog. I tried your "birthday cake" recipe....WOW...It's my birthday today and Bob's is on Sunday..I don't think the cake will last until then, so perhaps I'll make it again...DEEELISH! Have a lovely day!!
Marilee

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

It's always a great pleasure coming over to your sweet little corner of the world, Julie. Loved the poems and the images, especially the third one.
Happy Thoughts! xo

southerninspiration said...

oh that is my favorite salad other than a Caesar salad.....ummm, makes me want to make it!!! ;D
thanks for the prayers for my loved ones and for continually coming by my blog and offering encouragement!!!
I so appreciate it!

Suzanne

Jenny said...

Oh what a fun post! Love your diverse poems and the recipe sounds fantastic. I am printing it out to have later this week. I actually have some leftover chicken.

Happy Tuesday!

Teacup Mosaics said...

Your blog is a wonderful break from the craziness of the world. My grandmother use to say something about going into a room and then forgetting it, hmmmm I can't remember it and it is driving me nuts. How true your words. I will try the chicken salad sounds yummy. Thank you for your visit.
Kelley

Jules said...

I love the memory poem. It is all so true and most has happened to me...

And that salad sounds totally delicious!

Suzanne said...

Now I have that song stuck in my head! Ha! Your recipe looks really good. I will have to try it! Thanks for popping by and saying hi! Have a lovely day and enjoy the sunshine! -Suzanne

Manuela@TPOH said...

The first one had me saying "isn't that the truth!" LOL.

Manuela

Matty said...

Your poems are so upbeat and positive, and refreshing to read.

That chicken cabbage salad looks good. I printed it out for future use.

And the fact that you confuse the birthdays of your children and grandchildren doesn't mean they don't have birthdays. Just sayin'.

Matty

Sandy said...

lol! Too Cute Julie, you are such a Happy Girl!!

nanny said...

Now that salad sounds wonderful!!!!

happeningswithLana said...

Love the picture with the flowers on the chair.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

What an amazing home and a beautiful blog! I happened upon your blog through another friend's and thought I'd visit! So glad I did! Have a great day!

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Hi Julee ~ the Lighten Up song was just perfect for me today. I needed a little lift! Thanks so much for your supportive and kind words about our sweet Bandit. It does help to know that others have been there, too, and understand the loss.
Bridget

Tracy F. said...

This was such a wonderful post! I have every book Judith Viorst has written, although "Forever Fifty" is especially relevant right now! The recipe looks great. I've made the salad before, but never thought of adding chicken to it. Can't wait to try it!